Strange insect-like critter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwhite281

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was watching my betta in his 2.5 gallon tank and I noticed this almost transparent thing at the bottom. At first I thought it was some debris off of the plant. Upon further inspection I noticed this thing is alive! It has 2 antlers and 6 legs. The legs are bent like a cricket or spider. It's tail looks like it's split in three. Spear like. It's pretty slow moving too. In a way it resembles a cricket, but it's clear and very hard to see. Very small. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I've looked online to try and find a picture, but I'm having a hard time since I don't really know where to begin.

If it's a flea, it's awfully large and it doesn't look like one. It's small in comparison to a fish. But large in comparison to a flea. I've had water fleas before. It looks nothing like it. It literally looks like a cricket. Very strange. And of course now I can't find it because it's almost completely transparent and bldnds in so well.

OH! That's it! It looks just like that nymph of a damselfly. If I can find the silly thing again, I'll remove it. It's so hard to see in my tank. Those things grow in water? And I wonder how it got there. It must have been stuck to the plant I just got. So weird.

Thank you everyone for all your help. At least now I know what this little critter is. :)

It probably did come in on a plant. I'm glad we know what it is now! Sometimes "hitchhikers" are good tank inhabitants, like some harmless snails that aerate your substrate. In this case I'd say the nymph is not a good inhabitant. The article said they may molt 6 - 15 times before reaching the adult stage. I hope you find the real nymph and not just a molt. I wonder if it would molt in your tank since your tank is a good home for fish but probably not ideal conditions for the nymph. Be careful - the extendible jaw is very fast at reaching out to grab prey. It may not bite your finger off but it could give you a good pinch.

Oh great. Now I'm worried about it being in my tank. haha
I hope it doesn't bother my betta. I haven't been able to find it yet. The little thing is almost completely transparent. I have to do a water change tomorrow. Hopefully I will suck it up then I won't have to worry about it.
Thanks again :)

No need to worry! I didn't mean to scare you! If it's so small that it's hard to see, it probably is unable to do harm to you or the betta. I think it would be easiest to get out at a water change. Try to suck it up in your gravel vac or try to scoop water out along the bottom so you can hopefully get it that way. When the tank isn't as full of water it may be easier to see. Let us know!

Don't kill it either, put it in a bucket with a stick in it. Feed it frozen bloodworms every so often, and let it grow into a dragonfly.

A fully grown dragonfly can eat 50 mosquitos a week, and other pests

I haven't been able to find it since that one day when I posted this. It's either hiding in the plant or in the rocks. I was going to do a water change the other day, but forgot to bring everything with me to work. I am going to do one on Monday. Maybe I'll be able to find it at that time.
I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens to the little guy. :)

Back
Top Bottom