Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
After realizing that my gravel was too big for plants (1cm in diameter) I went off searching the web for alternate substrate. So far I've found
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4870&inm=1&N=2004+113555+113565
and
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9087&inm=1&N=2004+113555+113565

I was thinking I could buy two bags of either to have a pure substrate...or buy 1 bag of each and have a mix (but that mix of colors may not look good) or I could co with a less expensive method...and just buy one of those and mix it with my current gravel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IME, I would NOT use Flourite. I have it in a 10 gal planted and it's a booger to deal with. You can wash it for days and it will never be clear. It will however settle down in your tank pretty quickly, but it doesn't take much to stir it up.

dave

I've heard good things about eco-complete. I agree with Xzap about the flourite, too much of a hassle. Personally, I've just used regular walmart gravel and my plants do great. If I weren't on a budget though, I'd get eco-complete.

I've used both Flourite and Eco-Complete and have to say that I like the Eco-Complete better than any other substrate I've ever used. It's almost black and looks great with green plants; it is perfectly sized for holding roots; it is nutrient rich; and it won't cloud your water like Flourite will. That said, Flourite works just about as well for growing plants.

Well, I'd rather not have a mess to deal with, so I'll go with the eco-complete. Might I get a good effect if I put in just one 20lb bad of eco-complete then top it off with my current substrate? I can't really afford two bags of it right now.

As long as your substrate is made up of at least 50% Eco-Complete or more you should be fine. It will tend to sift down through the larger substrate in time so you may end up having to add more later on.

Back
Top Bottom