Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tank mates?

I have 15 feeder gold fish, 2 balas, to red fins,2 irridesents and 2 tiger barbs. All in a 55 gallon tank. I was gonna get 50-100 dirt cheap guppies but the guy said my fish are too aggressive... I thought my fish were non-semi aggressive? Thanksfor the advice

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh dear...

i don't know where to begin....

Your tank is crazily overstocked!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble_B0y View Post
oh dear...

i don't know where to begin....

Your tank is crazily overstocked!
23 small fish in a 55 gallon tank is way overstocked?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55

23 small fish in a 55 gallon tank is way overstocked?
Those sharks won't stay small for long. Some will get one to two feet long. And goldfish are a huge load.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not about the number of fish in your tank. It's about the species you have and what those particular species requirements are.

For example, you should never have two red fin sharks together (I have to presume you mean sharks). Each shark will require a minimum of 55-75 gallons due to their aggression level. And yes, the sharks will eat the guppies and probably the feeders.

Feeders are know for being in horrible health, as they are not really meant to live basically. You're better off having a separate tank and raising your own feeders, if necessary.

Tiger barbs are aggressive and you should have a large school of them to curb the aggression. Guppies would not stand a chance.

Bala sharks require groups of 5 or more, as do the irridescents.

Did you research any of these species prior to purchase or did you just get really bad advice from your lfs?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes your tank is overstocked. Bala sharks get very big. Tiger barbs should be kept in schools of at least 5. Goldfish have a large bioload. As well don't they prefer colder water? Whereas tigers are a warm water tropical fish. I would get rid of all the gold fish and get more tiger barbs ( like 8 more...not all added at the same time though). Tigers are very cool in a big school, they swim together and can be very entertaining. I would consider taking the Balas back too as they will outgrow your tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
come get me tang police!

Feeder goldfish are usually common goldfish, which can get over a foot easily. They are all small in the store because they don't usually live long (at least in those conditions), and are utilized as feeders while they are still small.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I'm off to a terrible start... my buddies feeders are 5" long. Ill give him the bala sharks and feeders. If iget more tiger barbs will they be ok with guppies?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, the barbs will most likely attack the guppies.

You really should rehome everything but the barbs and then stock around that species.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

Some people have issues with tiger barbs and tankmates and others do fine with them. I wouldn't stock that many guppies unless you are going to do something with them, though. They explode in population pretty easily, which is probably why your friend has so many to get rid of.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tiger barbs are bad fin nippers. Usually it's not recommended to keep them with anything that has long flowing fins. But I have a small school kept with long finned danios which are very fast and have not had problems with nippy tigers. I think they enjoy taunting them! I have watched them swim slowly up to the tiger school and them dart through them but the tigers aren't able to catch them. I'm got sure if guppies are as fast, maybe someone else could tell you.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO and experience with tiger barbs if you have a big enough school they will stick to themselves. That's why I recommend having 10. They will create their own pecking order and only "fight" one another.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A buddy of mine breeds african cichlids and will sell them to me for $3 each. I think I'm gonna just switch to them.... will any of my sharks or barbs survive?
thanks
travis
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55
A buddy of mine breeds african cichlids and will sell them to me for $3 each. I think I'm gonna just switch to them.... will any of my sharks or barbs survive?
thanks
travis
IDK I've had parrot cichilids and tiger barbs together. Never had a bala due to how big they get. I would still recommend a few more tiger barbs.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55 View Post
thanks
travis
Your tank is not suitable for any of the shark species that you want. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
Your tank is not suitable for any of the shark species that you want. Sorry.
They should really tell people they need a swimming pool to own sharks. Lol I guess my biggest question is will the cichlids kill the sharks? I want a bigger tank in my near future. Will the sharks survive?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone please???
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think they will. However there's always a chance, if the sharks are bigger than they will be fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
I don't think they will. However there's always a chance, if the sharks are bigger than they will be fine.
The cichlids are 1-3" and my smallest shark is 2-3". My irridesent sharks is close to 4".
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just how large of a tank are you considering upgrading to, and what exactly is "near future"?

The best laid plans about getting a larger tank quite often don't come to fruition. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Tags
tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com