"TANKS" ALOT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I finally gave in to everyones subliminal messages. I bought my first Pleco last night. I will have to do more research as the lfs said it was just a common Pleco. Haven't decided on a name yet, either Monster or The Giant. Hopefully he won't live up to the name but as of right now he is the biggest fish in the tank.

I also got another Molly, a female creamsicle. My Sunglow Lyretail really seems to be terrorizing my tank. My wife said she saw him flip a little female Black Lryetail yesterday. I saw him really chasing around and nipping at alot of my fish so I segregated him for a couple of hours. It seemed to help but it was also pretty late, so we will see. Hopefully another female in the tank will help.

Will too much light during the day make the fish more aggressive? I know generally it should be 8-12 hrs but really it is on about about 15. I do not have any live plants and it is all Mollies and Platys with the one Pleco now. Will the longer light time help grow the algea for the Pleco?

And the babies are now in the main tank and all seem to be doing fine. Don't want to many more new ones so we will see how many survive. Looks like most will cause no one seems to care that they are in the tank.

So that's the update, just wanted to share.

Be aware that Common Plecos get quite large, 24" in length. You will probably have to supplement feeding of the Pleco with algae wafers as he will probably clean your tank in no time.

Yeah, I know the lfs guy was probably giving me a line of bull but he said his is only 6" after 4 years and only expects it to get 8" at the max. But he did say I could bring it in and exchange it for a smaller one if it does get to big. We will see.

Bristlenose Plecos are superb algae eaters from what I've read, and those max out at 6" I believe, sometimes smaller.

i have a bristlenose in my 40gal.. it's ony like 2 inch's right now and it took three days before the tank was sparkling. cleaned the heater, glass, anubias.. haha GET ONE =)

Back
Top Bottom