The Daphnia Holy Grail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure if this is correct place to place this thread, but i will just go ahead and post it here.

I've been wanting to start a culture of daphnia ever since i read about their benefits. I'm from Peachtree City, GA, south of downtown Atlanta. Surrounded by numerous lakes, i thought finding daphnia in the wild would be piece of cake especially with spring in the air and temperature kicking up. BUT I WAS WRONG. I know that you can get a starter culture from the web but i would like to hunt them down in order to avoid the cost. If there's a member on this forum from GA and would kindly spare a culture of daphnia, it would be greatly appreciated, both from me and my fish. But if not, Is there any tip on finding them? I went to three lakes today.

Lake 1: saw some small fish, a school of HUGE tadpoles (about the width of two adult fingers combine, i thought they don't get bigger than the width of the pinky). No daphnia, at least not what i saw.

Lake 2: some semi-aquatic plants, some fish, and what seems to be dragonfly nymphs (because they look like small dragonflys but in water and not much of a wingspan).

Lake 3: some fish, some mean-looking turtles (sharp claws with sharp edges on the back of the shell).

I thought that in order support some of these animals i've mentioned, some daphnia is required because they're in the bottom tier of the food chain.
I actually brought home a sample of water from one of the lakes and looking closely, i can see a small critter with horn/hair-like-thing protruding from the head. IT'S NOT A SNAIL because it doesn't have a shell and it actually SWIMS around. Too bad that it's so small, otherwise i would take a picture of it. Anyone know what it is and whether it's a good snack for my bumbleebee gobies and dwarf puffers?

Back
Top Bottom