The miracles of filter floss!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to emphasize again for those of you wanting to try this with HOB filters:

Please make sure you have the filter tilted towards the tank so any overflow goes back INTO the tank and not on the floor. Please also make sure that you don't use so much floss that the top insert is flat against the top of the filter or it could also possibly leak. And most importantly,

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR TOP ON PROPERLY!

The tops on these HOB filters have an inside lip on them. This prevents any water that would run down and possibly start a leak, be it from evaporation or splashing, to go back inside the filter.

A member just had a horrible experience with a leak and I don't want anyone to suffer this!

Folks I just had to post how incredible filter floss is as an insert. I have the AC HOB filter and use a foam pad, ceramic media, and another foam pad. I've read about filter floss but never got around to actually putting it in my filter. So yesterday when doing a large PWC and cleaning I decided to use some.

A couple weeks ago (yes I'm kicking myself for having this just sitting around) I had purchased the polyester fiber fill (that's what filter floss is sold as at local arts and craft shops), a huge 16oz bag was $3.

I grabbed a small handful of it, rinsed it under tap water and shook it out. I then added it to the filter. I did not remove any of the inserts, just mashed it in between the ceramic media and the final foam pad. This allows me to keep all the filtration and bacteria on the inserts (so no possible mini-cycle), and add in another level of filtration.

I did not expect much from the floss as I assumed the foam pads adequately filtered out fine particles, especially as they get dirtier (as junk begins to clog the pores it should filter finer).

To my complete amazement the difference is night and day. I used to constantly see small particles floating in the water (almost like a VERY minute case of GW). The worst was the algae problems that could arise on my slow growing leaves because there was a slight buildup of debris. I'm wondering now if some of those bouts with algae weren't from a deficiency but from extra debris building up on the leaves (not that it CAUSED the algae, but why it was difficult to get rid of). I thought this was just a result of lots of plants/ferts/fish.

Now my tank looks like it was just diatom filtered! I mean crystal clear!

With the addition of the filter floss it had definitely reduced the flow of water. I have an AC50 filter for my 20 gallon tank so it doesn't effect me, but if you have a filter rated just for your size tank it might not be a good idea (actually replace one of your current inserts or use a very small layer).

It was also tricky to use the proper amount. Too much and the top foam pad would push up towards the top of the filter and could possibly allow for water to leak out of the filter (I tilted the filter slightly more towards the tank so if this was to ever happen it should run into the tank and not off the back). Too little and I was worried (I've read on here) that it can get into the tank and make a real mess trying to clean it up. I did not put it in a bag so its just free filter floss, but I can't imagine it could get into the tank since there is another layer on top of it.

So for less than $3, I feel my filter is much better then it was the day before, and I've had this tank now for over a year! Wish I would have added some of this before...

Thanks everyone for recommending it! 8)

Don't bother with the pet store (I'm sure they would sell you 2oz for $5). Go to an arts/crafts place like AC Moore, Linen's N' Things, or some other local place (I don't know if these are national chains or more regional). You want 100% polyester fiber fill. It looks like bedding that you would stuff a pillow with. It's extremely cheap, and I'm still in awe of how well it works.

I don't know what the baskets for the Emperor are, but if they are enclosed you would have a very easy time just replacing one of the baskets with the fiber fill (otherwise you probably want a mesh net or something to keep it together). Since its the finest filtering insert for your HOB, you want it to go after the foam pad. Technically it probably should then go after the foam pad with ceramic media being last, but I don't think the order matters if you have it enclosed (ie so it doesn't get into the tank), just that the coarse filtering comes first (foam).

Or you could just do similar to like I did and put it in the same basket as the foam filter.

I have the emporer 280, which the compartments are teh same as the 400.

I put the floss in a media bag and literally crammed it in between the normal filter and the ceramic rings I had in the case that came with the emporer. Works great.

I bought a bag at Wal-Mart for $3. They sold the exact same thing at the lfs for $15. Go to a craft store or Wal-Mart.

I've been using the Walmart brand for over a year now. Everyone always asks me what I do to my tank to keep it clear. Works like a charm.

neilanh said:
I have the emporer 280, which the compartments are teh same as the 400.

I put the floss in a media bag and literally crammed it in between the normal filter and the ceramic rings I had in the case that came with the emporer. Works great.

Everyone keeps mentioning ceramic rings and I don't know what they are. :(

I put a batch of filter floss in my canister filter, right on top of the top sponge. My canister doesn't have baskets. My water is always so clear. After a water change, when the fine particles are circulating due to the turbulence from pouring water back in, I believe the floss is instrumental in clearing up the water quickly.

David14259 - I tried to experiment with an Eclipse filter. I removed the carbon cartridge and replaced it with a wad of floss. You'll have to be very careful that the floss doesn't get pulled into the biowheel. Anything that gets caught in the biowheel and interferes with its movement can cause all the water coming behind the wheel to overflow and drip out the back of the tank. I found a little puddle one day (fortunately it was little) because my floss got trapped in the biowheel. I put the floss in a media bag but then I think the water just bypassed most of the bag, and the floss itself stayed clean. So I'm not sure what to tell you, other than to be careful that you don't cause the biowheel to get clogged.

Jchillin said:
I've been a proponent of Filter Floss for a long time. I can't imagine running any of my tanks without it. Nice testimonial

I know you and others have. :oops: I've just been too lazy (or really didn't think it would be quite as impressive). I wanted to post this topic to let others see the error of my ways!

lovemybarbs,

Yup, and the tighter its in there the less chance of some of it getting into other parts of the filter/tank. But like I mentioned its a fine line between causing too much restriction in the filter and working great.

Back
Top Bottom