Thinking of upgrading my betta tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 2 gallon right now with only a filter. Thinking of upgrading to a 5 gallon that has the filter, heater and light. I was thinking that along wiht my betta I would be able to add 3 of the smaller sized cories.

What do you guys think? I have had cories and bettas together before with no problem, I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't overcrowding. Cause I am getting really excited, lol, and I don't want to do anything on a whim.

I think that might be possible. Cory's are relatively fragile fish however, so while the betta can deal with horrible tank conditions the cory's will probably not survive. While they are schooling fish, I think 3 might be a bit much for the 5 gallon along with the betta. You might try 2 at first and see how everyone gets along and how toxins build up in the tank. I know some betta's are finicky with eating (my aunt has one in a large vase that only eats the floating pellets AS they are sinking right by the head of the fish, any other way and the betta ignores it), so the cory's should keep the substrate free of uneaten food, but they do poop a fair amount.

I had 3 cory's in my 20gallon and they did a great job of cleanup. I currently only have 1 left in the tank due to a bullying tiger barb that actually ate the fins off the other 2 before I realized what was happening (I thought they were just sick until I saw them swimming unevenly due to the fins). I really want to put 2 more in, but am worried about this barb. The 1 that is left does not seem to be bothered at all...

sorry for getting off track.

Coreis.. fragile??? LOL.. i don't think ive ever had one die on me even through cycles and everything. Ive had 2 of my panda cories for almost 2 years now!

I would think that 3 pygmies would do fine in a five gallon tank. I think it would make a nice display.

Because it's on my desk at work. I think they might have a hear attack if I go from a 2 gallon to a 10 gallon, lol.

gotta do it slowly :) start off withthe 5 gallon. then upgrade slowly to a 10, then a 20, eventually a 75 :)

Jarred Darque said:
gotta do it slowly :) start off withthe 5 gallon. then upgrade slowly to a 10, then a 20, eventually a 75 :)

yeah, they'll never notice :twisted:

I was thinking of the pygme cories..I have never had those kind before and I haven't seen them around my lfs...looks like I will have to orderthem...it'll work out better that way, then I can have them delivered right to my workplace...ok yay, now I am ecxited!

in my opinion per cent spent is worth more to get a 9.99 glass ten gallon tank with another ten bucks filter and find a space off of your desk but still in your office. I started with a betta bowl and a plant about six years ago and then wanted to give him a bigger home bought a ten gallon but by that time three years later he died so i got guppies and a pleco, today I own 1 10g for qt 1 20g and upgrading very soon to the 75g sitting in my garage and a few years might go with over 100g this hobby/passion has got my wallet chain to it and think that it all started with 1 betta.

I got the Eclipse hex 5 for my desk at work and I love the way it looks. Plus, if you replace the incandescent bulb (which makes the water too hot anyway IMO) with one of those little screw-in CF bulbs, you have 2 wpg for growing plants.

I kept some pygmy cories a few years ago and I loved them- they are adorable! Unfortunately my tank got ich and I didn't know what I was doing, so they didn't make it. Maybe your LFS can special order them for you so you wouldn't have to spend all that money on shipping.

kaz said:
this hobby/passion has got my wallet chain to it and think that it all started with 1 betta.

same with me. I got a betta in a TINY bowl, got a bigger bowl, then a one gallon, then a 6 gallon, then another betta, then a 29 gallon. Hoping for a 55 someday!!!! And I want to upgrade my betta to at LEAST a 2.5.

lmw80 said:
I was thinking of the pygme cories..I have never had those kind before and I haven't seen them around my lfs...looks like I will have to orderthem...it'll work out better that way, then I can have them delivered right to my workplace...ok yay, now I am ecxited!

I never saw them at my lfs either until recently.......They were so tiny and the tank wasn't labelled. They told me they have them in all the time! They do look great, and I would've gotten some but I was afraid they would go mad with all the big fish in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom