this looks like a pretty good diy bakround

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
has anybody ever thought of having like a holorgaphic like backround that'll make it look bigger? or maybe like a mirror?

wow, that's awesome.

i had a mirror behind one of my tanks once, just a standard hang-on-the-wall deal. it was a cool effect, but not very convincing as you saw yourself, obviously.

Jchillin said:
I really like those backgrounds. The only disadvantage is the loss of water volume.

Thats my thought exaclty... you pay so much for a certain volume of water and then you take up half of it with a background... i think the 3D backgrounds are awesome, but i want to try to make one a bit thinner.

actually had the exact thought in mind. made one with 2" thick styrofoam from lowe's. also the styro is gauged out in many places to allow for less water displacement :p .

looks really nice but i dont know if i would want take up all that space...

What I want to do is put most of the DIY background on the back/outside of the tank facing into the tank. That way you can see it through the back glass. Then, put some on the inside that match up....this would make it look like the rock goes through the glass....and it wouldnt displace nearly as much water.

one major advantage that an in-tank background has is that, after a while nature covers everything with a layer of algae, so that all the rocks, decor and the background form an unified composition.
having the background outside is a viable option too. but in that case i'd recommend the rock-scape printed backgrounds(that was my initial idea)...involves a lot less work :mrgreen: ...

*edit* added two photos from cichlid-forum to show what i meant...

Attachments

• 4038a.jpg
    4038a.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 4067a.jpg
    4067a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 125
I believe that if the part of the background outside of the tank were dark enough, it would blend just fine. I wanted to do a cave...That means that the lighting would be much darker...just a few highlights on the rock to show definition in the rock.

Nice pics tetrin. :) In my original post, I was really referring to the one that was linked, not all of them. In fact, if you could do...say boulders in a staggered formation to avoid a lot of water displacement, I say go for it. Let's say a 1" or 2" piece. The depth perception may not be as good though :?:

squishy, i know what you mean and its completely feasible...
a link to show your idea in action -
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/hobbyist_gallery/hobbyist_prazic.html

JC - i was going for the flatter look from the beginning. i wanted the background to be a part of a huge rock, not composed of separate rocks. but anyway, there were modifications on the way :wink: ...in order to have a depth perception, some portions have to stick out, eating into valuable swimming space. so i wanted the depth to be created by a combo of rocks and the background, both complementing each other. i hope i succeeded somewhat...we'll see in about 2 weeks...(currently curing it)

Tetrin,

Thats almost what I was talking about. I think I want a combination of that, and the first pic you posted. Its really hard to decide!

Wow! Those two pics are great. Makes me want to do it on my tank.... and I don't even have rock-loving fish. Ha!

Arin, are you using straight tap or SW or water softeners? In the cichlid-forum it has been mentioned that SW or water softener will help speed up the cure times and I wonder if you're trying it too. Can't wait to see it :)

Later,
Joe

Joe,
i'm currently using just plain tap water mixed with a little kosher salt (what was left in the kitchen). but i'm going to buy some water-softeners soon and mix them in. i think the key still remains frequent twc's(total pwc's :wink: ). i've also added a large piece of driftwood and three smaller pieces.
believe me, i have scoured the net for info on diy backgrounds (its not just coincidence that i can bring out these pix and articles :wink: ). the consensus on curing is daily water changes. i've even seen vinegar been added. also, patience is a key element...

squishy, i reasons i backed down from a background outside the tank are
- i needed the buffering capabilities of concrete
- i needed whatever small hiding places the background could offer
- i didn't have sufficient space at the back of my tank (the living room is already packed with four other tanks and my roommates are baying for blood)
- i was going to use a AC500 (a hob), and couldn't find a good way to hide it by the background, an issue that's easily taken care of by in-tank ones.

but, i feel these issues can easily be negated with some planning. i'll eagerly await the results if you decide to build one :).

I didnt mean to imply that you hadn't researched. I only mentioned the cichlid-forum because it was the source of the info for me, and I found the forum through you :)

Appreciate the tips.

Back
Top Bottom