Thoughts on 20 gallon leaf fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
was wondering if a 20 gallon is enough for just one african leaf fish? the ones at petsmart

Yes 20 gallons is sufficient. But be sure not to put anything small with it due to the fact that they have a large mouth and will swallow prey whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can I house two leaf fish? Or will they end up attacking each other?

No is the answer to both of your questions, a 20, even a 20L isn't large enough for a Leaf Fish. They don't get huge but they easily stress and with those guys Stress=Death. For two, to properly house them a 55 would be necessary and that is pushing it.

As for tank mates, if you can't eat it is stresses you, that is if your a Leaf Fish. These guys hang at the surface of weeded overgrown back or still water. They are ambush hunters and aren't comfortable in the open. Tank mates are usually eaten or cause the Leaf Fish to want to flee for more privacy. One last word, if you are not an advanced aquarium keeper then this is a very poor choice. Very cool fish but not even for the moderate level folks.

Sorry I thought he was talking about the Polycentropsis abbreviata which is basically the same but smaller :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom