Too many snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
MTS... OMG MTS!!!

so i figured i had a bunch... maybe 50? whoa was i wrong. how about like 5,000!!

I came into my livingroom at around 3am after EVERY light has been off for about 3-4 hrs... i couldnt believe my eyes. i dont think i have ever seen so many snails.... EVERYTHING was covered in snails..

So question... can you have TOO many snails? (90 USG btw)

Yes... And it sounds like you do! Don't overfeed, turn off the lights and sink a piece of lettuce using a rock in the tank. In a few hours come back and take out the lettuce. It should be covered with snails.

From what others have said, pest snails (mts, pond, ramshorn) will overpopulate a tank if you overfeed the fish in it. In your case, you should definitely cut back on feeding, but you'll have to get some of those out of there as well.

I recommend either using the lettuce trick or getting something that eats snails.

ill have to set up a smaller tank temporarily.... i cant bring myself to flush or throw them out... i know it sounds dumb but i cant... wonder if a LFS would take them.

Anyone want to buy some MTS?! HA!

Andrew, these are snails, the vermin of aquatics ! Cem-tex would be too good for them !! Okay... maybe that's a bit extreme, you might detect I am a bit 'anti-snail'. There are others who tell us there are some very atractive snails, and that in moderation they are not so bad, but 5000 !! (btw, how did you count them ? TiC). I like something different in my tank, but snails don't register. Now shrimps... that's more like it :)

If you have that many you are feeding way to much. Cut back on feeding, remove the ones you can see and the problem will correct itself.

Problem with the assassin snails they will not get the popuation under control, you have so many snail now that they will breed faster than the assassin can eat them. Also if it did turn out that your assassin ate them all the assassin would then strave because of lack of food, advice above is what i would recommend, feed less and search a DIY snail trap to start catching some of the snail. I know people will buy them off you for the cost of shipping.

Back
Top Bottom