Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is a dumb question and I think I know the answer but is there such thing as too much filtration? Can I effect the water chemistry by having it turn over too much?

There is such a thing as too much flow, if your fish are struggling or your plants are laying over it may be a but much. As far as filtration, it does have a ceiling, what's the setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 75 gallon HOB filter and a 25 gallon sponge filter. I'm thinking about throwing in a 55 gallon canister.

What kind of hobs? Aquaclear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too Much Filtration?

I know this is a dumb question and I think I know the answer but is there such thing as too much filtration? Can I effect the water chemistry by having it turn over too much?

Hello knut...

If the filtration isn't throwing your fish all over the tank, then you can filter as much as you like. The filter will mix a lot of oxygen into the tank water and the fish are happy with it. On the other hand, your plants may not do as well as the fish. Mixing a lot of oxygen into the water will remove the carbon dioxide the plants need.

If you're a diligent water changer and by that I mean you change out large amounts of tank water weekly, you won't need heavy filtration. A filter system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of roughly 4 times the volume of the tank is sufficient.

B

Back
Top Bottom