transferring my 40 gallon into a larger tank- I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingogirl66

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently buying a 100 gallon tank and I want to transfer everything from my 40 gallon into this tank. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions I currently have nice flat rocks and 8 African cichlids. I will be adding more to the new tank once established.

well like you said, do it all at once

there is nothing too specific you need with this, just as long as you are transferring the gravel as well to keep the beneficial bacteria

good luck! and take your time with it and it'll turn out great!!

by the way

Welcome to AA! :multi: :smilecolros:

Congrats on the upgrade! The Africans will really like the new larger tank. :D When moving the decor, don't wash it before putting it into the new tank. Don't clean the filter either. Transfer the filter to the 100 gal also and run it with the additional filtration that is added. This will help jumpstart the cycle. I'd say you can safely transfer everything but may encounter a minicycle. Just make sure you monitor the water parameters closely and do water changes as needed.

BTW- Welcome to AA! :D

Cool, Thanks for the tips. I was going to set the tank up and cycle it with a new filter but placing the carbon filter thats in the current one in it, Do you think this will also work? I wasn't planning on washing the rocks because the bacteria is so beneficial for a successful tank. I did't know if using the old carbon filter ( i replaced 6 weeks ago) would work also....... I am also planning on using the shell substrate that is currently in it in the new tank as well.

If the substrate is made from real seashells, it will increase your pH. Depending on what your tap pH is, you may not need this. You can just use the old cartirdges instead of running both filters at once. You could also run the new filter on the 40 gal tank for a few weeks to build up bacteria. Either option will work. HTH.

Transfer everything over from the 40, including your filter. Set it all up to run, add the filter for the 100, disconnect the 40 filter in a few weeks.

Cool, Thanks for the tips. I was going to set the tank up and cycle it with a new filter but placing the carbon filter thats in the current one in it, Do you think this will also work?
It would be safer, IMO, to move over the whole filter to the new tank for a couple weeks, and then remove it. Congrats on the large tank. I know your Africans will love the space. :D

And WELCOME to AA! :smilecolros:

shell substrate

I have a substrate that I bought that is crushed shells specially for cichlids. My water at home is a lower PH so the shells help increase that, I also have a Water Master Kit so I can check everything daily once I transfer everything. What type of substrate do you have? I would like to try sand because it looks so crisp and allows you to see the colors of fish better. What do you think of sand? :roll:[/u][/i]

I love sand. I think it makes tanks easier to maintain since debris does not sift through it like it does with gravel. It's all a matter of how you like your tank to look. Some love the colored substrates and some like the natural look and some try to depict the natual environments of their fish. I personally would never go back to gravel. Plus, sand is cheaper. :D

Transfer everything over from the 40, including your filter. Set it all up to run, add the filter for the 100, disconnect the 40 filter in a few weeks.

including the water
then it's just like doing a 60% water change if ur sizes are correct

I agree with all the above. Move the fish with the small tanks filter over to the new tank all at once. After 6 weeks you should be able to remove the smaller filter with out any poblems, Perhaps even sooner. I am + / - about moving the gravel over. There will be lots of gunk stirred up by doing this.

Back
Top Bottom