Treating Hydra with Fenbendazole Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pretty bad outbreak of hydra in my freshwater pipefish tank. I know it's not a threat to the adult fish but will be a threat to the fry if I ever get them to breed.

Since Spixi snails are impossible to find for sale, and moving the fish to another tank is not possible, I'm going to have to go the fenbendazole route.

My question is this: the pipefish only eat live baby brine, live daphnia, and live mosquito larvae, wouldn't the fenbendazole kill off all their food as well as the hydra?

And if it will kill all of their food sources as well, how many days will it take to get the fenbendazole out of the system so the live food can survive?

I'm afraid to even go a day without giving them food. They're very difficult to keep as it is and now I have to do this :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are other fish that eat hydras:
Mollies
Certain gouramis
And some others

If you have a place to put the pipe fish while doing it you can use heat to kill the hydra.

Heat tank to 40c for a couple hours then vacuum and do a larger WC. After tank has returned to normal temps return the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom