Two stocking themes for my 29g....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got out a book that I have had since I started with my aquariums a few months back entitled The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums. Lo and behold there is a full chapter dedicated to stocking themes. He uses two size aquariums (29g and 50-55g). Since I have a 29g it was easy to understand. I really liked the following stocking theme and wanted to get your ideas:

First, start with 3 red velvet wagtail swords
then, add 6 cories (all one species or mixture)
then, add 2 small angelfish

I had never really thought of angelfish before, but the pictures in his book really are pretty of them and I think I would really like them.....

Next, the stocking theme I have come up (with help from members here, of course) is as follows:
6 black phantom or red phantom tetras
4 cherry barbs
6 otos
1-2 BN plecos
and in the very end, add my two female bettas

Now, with my option I will have more fish in the tank and could add my female bettas too. In the first option, with the angelfish, I don't think I would be able to add my female bettas because I think at least one of them would nip at the angel's fins.
So, I am really torn on this. I really want to get my female bettas out of these small tanks they are in and I need some space for QT'ing new fish as I bring them in for the 29g.
Secondly, when I add new fish to the 29g the book says to add them slowly....does that mean I couldn't add a whole school of say, 6 cories, I would have to add them maybe 3 at a time or something? I get confused when reading these instructions some time. I know you have to give your tank some time to catch up with the bioload of fish that you add, but in a 29g tank how many is too many to add at one time??
Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

I would go for the second one, especially if you are putting beta in. Angelfish are cool, but they get very tall. If should be fine to put a shoal in at one time. I did that in my 55 gallon tank fine. Just remember with the ottos to wait on them until you get some algae in the tank. They live off that stuff, and I have heard they can die from not enough algae. Like I said before if you get some rocks and put them in water in the window, it should grow algae and then you can put them into the tank and switch them out.

I would go for the second one, especially if you are putting beta in. Angelfish are cool, but they get very tall. If should be fine to put a shoal in at one time. I did that in my 55 gallon tank fine. Just remember with the ottos to wait on them until you get some algae in the tank. They live off that stuff, and I have heard they can die from not enough algae. Like I said before if you get some rocks and put them in water in the window, it should grow algae and then you can put them into the tank and switch them out.
Yeah...I have thought about that Amy. I was planning on putting them in way down the road, at the very last, well before the female bettas (they will be last). I have also been told that since I am going to be heavily (and I mean heavily) planting this tank that growing algae won't be much of a problem, but I do have a stash of nice slate rock at my sister-in-law's house that I can pilfer through most any time, so I might have to go get some more and put in the warm sun to grow some algae on. :p

I would love to get my hands on some good slate here. I just can't seem to find any here. My apartment complex has these great rocks near the pool that I have been running out to get when no one is looking. They are a nice addition to my aquarium setup, fish love hiding in them. How is your cycle coming along ?

I would love to get my hands on some good slate here. I just can't seem to find any here. My apartment complex has these great rocks near the pool that I have been running out to get when no one is looking. They are a nice addition to my aquarium setup, fish love hiding in them. How is your cycle coming along ?

I would offer to mail you some slate...lol....but shipping would be outrageous I am sure! :p
I have decided to go (with Joy's (purrbox) advice) with a silent cycle on my 29g since I am going to plant it so heavily. I should be getting my plant package in today and then I will let that get established for 2-3 weeks and then start slowly adding one fish species at a time. If I go with my stocking option (option 2) I will add the phantom tetras first, then go from there very slowly. I'm a wee bit nervous about it, but am willing to try so I can learn a new way of doing things.

Sounds like you are on your way. I have done the whole plants with cycle and it seem to work very well. Hornwort is a great plant to have if you are cycling. If you have some already I would put some in, it will suck up a lot of the ammonia.

If you are heavly planting your tank, I have been doing a lot of reading here. http://www.aquabotanic.com/begin.htm it has helped me out a lot.

just a few things, I am glad you have decided to go with the "silent" cycle, better for everyone! Second, I those rocks you are using, not to burst a bubble but they may be releasing toxins into the aquarium. The best test to do on them is to boil them, then scrub them clean, then pour some regular vinegar on them. If it has a chemical reaction, dont use it. If not then they are fine :)
your stocking sounds great except for you can add 2 more barbs, and with the ottos and bn, I would worry about their not being enough food for both. Also you will need some driftwood as they love to hang out on driftwood.
Good Luck!

just a few things, I am glad you have decided to go with the "silent" cycle, better for everyone! Second, I those rocks you are using, not to burst a bubble but they may be releasing toxins into the aquarium. The best test to do on them is to boil them, then scrub them clean, then pour some regular vinegar on them. If it has a chemical reaction, dont use it. If not then they are fine :)
your stocking sounds great except for you can add 2 more barbs, and with the ottos and bn, I would worry about their not being enough food for both. Also you will need some driftwood as they love to hang out on driftwood.
Good Luck!

Yeah...I knew about testing the rocks first and none of them reacted with the vinegar...it didn't fizz one bit. I also scrubbed and boiled them first.
So, with the otos, should I just decrease their numbers or forget about them all together and add some cories instead?

Yeah...I knew about testing the rocks first and none of them reacted with the vinegar...it didn't fizz one bit. I also scrubbed and boiled them first.
So, with the otos, should I just decrease their numbers or forget about them all together and add some cories instead?
I would just leave them out all together and go with corydoras ;) I have one BN and 3 (would have more but the species is hard to find here) corydoras and they go very well together :D

Back
Top Bottom