Unidentified Critter (looks not good)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was watching my new snails cruise around and clean off my swords, when I saw something move on the black gravel.

It was fairly quick and small, and my camera wasn't near. But it looked at first like a tiny white shrimp. I looked at it closer, and it crawled over the gravel, looking almost like some kind of non-aquatic insect. It disappeared back into the substrate after only a few seconds of being visible. It wasn't transparent at all - it was opaque and had many legs. My first thought was... some kind of aquatic flea, but I looked around on google and didn't find anything that looked like it.

There didn't appear to be any tail on it like a shrimp might have. It just scurried over the gravel on its legs. The closest thing I can find picture-wise is a Caddisfly larvae, but even that doesn't really look like it.

I introduced a lot of new plants recently and was aware of the snails hitchiking in on them, but I had no idea this was in there. Any ideas? It looked a bit creepy.

I wish I had an answer, but you creeped me out just reading about it. My tank is in my bedroom and if I saw that thing I'd make sure my lid was on tight and maybe sleep on the couch, lol! Hopefully someone knows just what it is and can help you out, I'm sure it's nothing as creepy as it seems... I just don't like things with many legs inside my house :)

Could be a Thai micro crab. They are completely harmless, infact plenty of ppl pay cash money for them.

Oh God, for my money Thai micro crabs look like a little spider scurrying along the bottom of your tank. My wife would never go near our aquarium again.

Thanks everyone!

I googled scud and I'm pretty sure that's what I saw. At first maybe not, but when I found the picture of a white one, yea... (the thing)

I'm so relieved to know that it isn't something that'll kill my fish! But I'm still kinda creeped out, haha. The way it moved just reminded me of something like a House Centipede.

Man, that thing is ugly. I'd freak out if I saw that in one of my tanks, too.

Back
Top Bottom