Using table salt in tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok since I just setup a new 39 gal tank..........I'm getting all kinds of "help" from tank owners that I run in to at the fish store. I remeber using salt (1/2 teaspoon /gal)(I Think) to help control stuff in the tank. What is your thoughts on this? Plus could you use sea salt instead?

*Still excited about my tank* *thinking of maybe getting another 20-25 gal one for another room*

Mantis

salt

There are varying opinions about using salt in FW tanks. Some fish are sensitive to it...others may benefit from it. DO NOT use regular table salt in your tank. It has iodine added to it and is not suitable for fish tanks. If you decide to use some salt in the tank, use aquarium salt only. You can use "ice cream salt" also...just make sure it is pure salt with no additives. I would not recommend using sea salt in a FW tank because there are minerals and trace elements in it that you don't need in a FW tank. It will probably also cause your pH to rise too high unless you are keeping African Cichlids or puffers. I do not use salt in any of my FW tanks and never have so I can't really tell you what the pros/cons are to it. Be sure to do some research on your fish to be sure they are not sensitive to salt before you add any.
Logan J

I use Dr. Wellfish Aquarium Salt and have had positive effects. I mainly use it when my GH gets over 12% or so to help the fish during the correction. It says like 1 TBS per 5 Gal, but I cut that to 1TBS per 15 Gal and it seems to be fine. I think their reccomendation is awfully high.

Thank you. I'll look for the aquarium salt and do more research on the fish. Thanks again. Mantis

I have to ask, because I was wondering the same thing and have found a lot of conflicting info on using salt. I've heard that it can really help to prevent disease and have positive effects, but I'm worried about hurting my fish. Here's what I've got:

55 gallon community with:
- 1 male betta
- 2 dwarf gouramis
- 8 rummynose tetras
- 7 zebra danios
- guppies, 1m and 3f

Would any of these be hurt by using some salt, and introducing it slowly?

I also plan to get a pleco or two in a few weeks - I just introduced a bunch of those fish and want time for things to re-cycle and stabilize, and for algae to build up a bit first.

Thanks!

I would get a small box of Instant Ocean. It will be more expensive than "freshwater" salts, but you won't be using much. The quality is much better. I wouldn't use table salt.

You can get in trouble with Instant Ocean due to its increased solubility and concentration. I still reccommend Dr. Wellfish Aquarium Salt.

Instant Ocean isn't really more concentrated as far as salt is concerned, though it does have quite a few trace elements and such. It will mix very quickly (good thing). You should probably mix any salt in some water before pouring into tank. Better than pouring in tank directly.

I just put some Dr Wellfish in my 10 gal yeaterday. Im waiting to see what happenes. Bearfan I agree with you that the ammount seemed too high. I put 1 teaspoon per five gallons instead of 1 Tablespoon like it said.

I've also used dr wellfish works good . As for thr instant ocean I'd steer clear it has minerals added for salt water tanks and is not the same. You could if you want ,but I wouldn't .

I use aquarium salt in my FW tanks with great success, I have an African Cichlid tank and a community tank. Never a problem and I go by the 1 tblsp per 5 gallons. It assists in disease prevention and as a stress reducer. However, snails will not tolerate any salt in a tank. Guppies and mollies are both high brackish in the wild, so high salt content will not hurt them at all. Mix salt in warm dechlorinated water prior to introducing into the tank and you will not have any further concerns.

Back
Top Bottom