Very important question...to me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll keep this short. Would it be alright if I put my 150 gallon aquarium in my shed for the winter? I'm not so much worried about the glass, but the caulk is my concern. Its about 8 years old and Iowa winters can get pretty cold.

This is very important to me, so any input would be greatly valued.

I would say that it depends on HOW it is put in the shed. For piece of mind, it might be beneficial to wrap it up in something, maybe some bubble wrap or a nice big tarp, or a combo of the two, etc...I guess it also depends on how nice your tank is. It's kinda old, so maybe it's not worth the effort. Either way, I would say it'd be ok, but I'm not sure.

Yeah....I was going to say wrap it in some heavy blankets to keep it insulated from the cold and from getting broken.

Personally I would be nervous about doing that. If you do, then when spring comes and the weather is warmed up I would definitely fill the tank OUTSIDE, meticulously dry the outside surfaces, and then let it sit for a few hours and inspect all the joints for any leaks. If the freezing & thawing were to have caused any of the sealant to pull away from the glass at all, then you'd see telltale leaking at the corners. (Or, if there was "pull away" of a more severe nature, then once the weight of the water got in the tank you'd have a catastrophic failure complete with broken glass and 150 gallons of water going everywhere. So choose wisely where you fill it!)

Silicone should be OK in the deep freeze. But it is the freezing & thawing of water that will cause problem. So, make sure the tank is absolutely dry & there is no way moisture can get in ..... and you should be Ok.

Thanks for the advice. I'll put it in the shed for the winter. It will be completely dry and I will definitely seal the top with plastic. And to be sure, I'll fill it outside to make sure there aren't any leaks when I get a new house in the Spring.

I lived in Wisconsin for most of my life and the winters there are freeeezing. I used to put my unused hamster tanks in the garage over the winter and they always either cracked or the silicone tightened up and peeled off. I would say don't risk it!

Back
Top Bottom