water quality issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rml1254

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new but have using this forum for help for while so thank you guys!

but recently i have come to the realization that my dechlorinator is turning my water green or extremely cloudly 2 hours after a water change, i do regular maintance to a T and have had, my current setup has been running for roughly 8 years now having most of the oringal fish and plants still going strong.

i use tetra aqua safe. To add my water is usually clear i do let a little algae grow for ,my pleco inbetween cucumber feedings.

now i have a 25 gal tank i use for extra plants prego fish etc.. and i did a test w just plants in the tank i did a water change with water of the faucet and left it sit over night to release the chlorine and water was crystal clear even a week later. so the next week i did a 5 gal water change (10 gal before) and again about two hours later water was green! amd yes i have boughten two other bottles just to make sure i didnt get a bad one.

does anyone know what would cause this????

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be contradictory but I have used this product as well as many other dechlorinators and never have I seen green water. If you get cloudy water, you might be stirring up the bottom?

It's a cloudy green. And I agree I've never had that happen till recently. And I have sand substrate idk if that helps. What product should I try to see if I have the same effect. I do have a scaleless fish so I can't use nothing harsh

Prime is a big favorite here, I also use API. Post results if you try something different.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Couple hours after 20 gal water change. Using Api. I was told by the local pet store here that sometimes when you get a dechlorintor with extra stuff in it can cause things to get whacky, and unbalanced. And I was using the the tetra plus one. So I won't be using that again. I put a pic of the tank up I'll try to find a pic of it shortly after a water change of the tetra plus stuff. And thanks again guys for the help I'm sure the fish appreciate it.

Photos are dark due to it being 2am. But it's much clearer then the pics show

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom