Water Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawdust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I bought a freshwater test kit the other day without paying attention. It has tests for pH (hi and lo), gH, Ammonia, Nitrite, but no test for nitrate.

I am getting ready to go pick up a new kit, and am wondering which kit everyone considers to be the best.

Hm...might have the same "master test kit" that I have. Light green box with instructions in 900 languages. Anyway I don't think mine has a nitrate test either....but I think there is a reason for that.

Mine is in a white box with 900 languages, lol

It is a Nutrafin Mini Master Test Kit, only I didn't notice the "Mini" when I bought it.

I think mine is the Aquarium Pharmecuticals one....I only think that cause everytime in the manual that they suggest a way to "fix" something they always suggest something that they make.....I don't blame them honestly. But anyway since I am setting up another tank at the moment I get bored during the 5 minute wait on SW and when I read the manual every other word is their product placement......ANYWAY...mine might have a nitrate test but I don't think it does.

I'm not sure which brand we have, but it's a green box with black letters and white, red, and some kind of picture on it. It has the Ammonia, pH, Nitrate, and Nitrite testing solution. I know what you mean the21kid, every paragraph in mine also has a way to fix the problem with one of their products and it's always in BOLD PRINT. It only comes in 4 languages though. :) Personally I've never used one of their "fixes". Just recently I purchased additional bottles of test supplies for GH and KH. If your kit doesn't have the Nitrate then you can probably go to the lfs and purchase a vile and test solution bottle for a couple dollars.

Fishy I got the same as yours...so sorry Sawdust I guess I do have the nitrate test in mine.....but ARGH the 900 languages and blantant product placement is maddening I tell you.

I guess to actually answer your question...I have only used this one for FW and SW so I really don't have any opinions on the others but I have never had a problem with this one. I am interested to see what others have to say cause I have started to wonder whether mine is bunk and I don't know it

I went to pick up one but they were sold out of the Aquarium Pharm nitrate kits so I bought the TetraTest one instead. NO WONDER there were so many left. It's like a 5 step process. I find it much more difficult to use. I will probably go with Aquarium Pharm next time.

I just got one from Big Al's...Freshwater Master Test Kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It has pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Yes, it has all the other languages in it too..and "fixes" but I really like it. It's everything I need and it was a good price at $12.99. (y)

I was wondering the other day about these test kits. I see ones for salt water and for fresh water... my tank is brackish, which should I use? Will it make a difference in any of the readings?

You have to watch out with the AP "master" test kits. Some have nitrate, some don't. So read the box carefuly. I was at Petsmart a month ago and there were two identicle appearing boxes, one had nitrate and one didn't. The ones that don't have nitrate tend to have the hardness tests instead? BTW - here is a link to make your own carrying case:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40915
or:
http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0013.htm

For brackish tanks, use a FW kit. I know that a SW nitrate kit is not accurate in FW or brackish tank, but some of them can cross over. Even so, they are cheap enough to get a seperate FW test kit for your brackish or FW tank.

Nitrate tests are much more complicated than other tests and nitrate levels aren't something you usually have to have a precise measure of so I think that is why it's not included in many "master" test kits.

Maillis said:
Nitrate tests are much more complicated than other tests and nitrate levels aren't something you usually have to have a precise measure of so I think that is why it's not included in many "master" test kits.

Maybe true but unless you're cycling your tank you would be using your nitrate kit a lot more then your ammonia and nitrite. It is sort-of strange.

Got home last night and checked....I have the master without the nitrate test....I am assuming that the nitrate test in the SW kit won't fly for the FW huh?

Got home last night and checked....I have the master without the nitrate test....I am assuming that the nitrate test in the SW kit won't fly for the FW huh?
That is correct! The color indicator chart is different for FW and SW. I emailed one manufacturer, they said the SW kit result would have to be halved. EDIT: or is that doubled? I can't remember! I bought a FW kit to remove the guessing.
Nitrate tests are much more complicated than other tests
I think that is because it is a two stage test. The first stage is actually chemically converting nitrate to nitrite, and it is the nitrite that reacts with the indicators to turn colors? I have been on a quest to get good info on the chemistry of test kits, if you know of any sources, please let me know too.

Back
Top Bottom