ways to save money on decorations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so im kinda cheap when it comes to decorations they are so darn expensive so i am all for any way to save a dollar.

I have already been making my own plants finding rocks outdoors etc.... Are there any other ways to save some money on decorations, cheap places to buy them? Ways to make your own? Buying unpainted ceramic sculptures and painting them? Styrofoam sculptures? Cast formed silicone decorations?

PVC is an amazing way to make caves and games for fish. It's relatively cheap, and you might even have some at home. You can make tons of patterns and games with it:)

PVC is an amazing way to make caves and games for fish. It's relatively cheap, and you might even have some at home. You can make tons of patterns and games with it:)

Awesome Ive even seen people silicone gravel onto the pvc so its kinda like hidden tunnels pretty cool probably fun for the fish

Awesome Ive even seen people silicone gravel onto the pvc so its kinda like hidden tunnels pretty cool probably fun for the fish
Yeah, they use decorative pearls or colorful beads, but make sure to use water safe and non-toxic silicone:)

I think you have to make sure the pvc is aquarium safe as well. Ive read that some arent, though I dont remember off-hand how to tell the difference.... so Im not as useful as I thought I would be when I started typing this. :ermm:

I think you have to make sure the pvc is aquarium safe as well. Ive read that some arent, though I dont remember off-hand how to tell the difference.... so Im not as useful as I thought I would be when I started typing this. :ermm:
Well pvc if used to hook sink water connections, so if it were toxic, I would be worried about myself? Unless you mean the exterior is toic?

Some rocks leech certain minerals into the water so do a quick google search before tossing one in.

I use glass, like stuff from cost plus world market(a chain of imported decorative stuffs in the USA) and ceramics. I have a whale cave that was intended to hold a sponge

You can get some of those red terracotta (I think?) planting pots to use as caves, just make sure to either plug the hole in the bottom or make it big enough for your fish to fit through.
You can also get fake silk plants from home good stores, just make sure there is no metal or to remove metal from them.

Instead of PVC you can use the craft mesh (like for needle point) and fishing line and sew them into tubes and get some moss to grow around it.

It just get some rocks, boil them, find aquarium safe silicone and make caves that way. Just make sure they are the right kind of rocks that won't leach. Lava and zebra rock are good choices.

Well pvc if used to hook sink water connections, so if it were toxic, I would be worried about myself? Unless you mean the exterior is toic?

Im not an expert on the subject, but apparently there are different types of PVC. After my last post in this thread I did some quick reading on the subject. "White Schedule 40" is the type use in plumbing and is safe for aquariums (suggested it gets a good washing before use).
There is a "Gray Schedule 40" that is used for electrical conduit. I have no idea if this is safe for aquariums or not. Whether or not it will affect drinking water probably isnt a consideration since thats not what its used for.
There is also a Green PVC that is only used for non-potable (undrinkable) water.. so again.. who knows?

That said, there are things that arent toxic to use that make short work of fishies. :(

Im sure everybody naturally thinks of the plumbing variety when they hear/read "PVC", but I didnt want that one person out there who doesnt to get the wrong stuff and have problems.

It just get some rocks, boil them, find aquarium safe silicone and make caves that way. Just make sure they are the right kind of rocks that won't leach. Lava and zebra rock are good choices.

I think that can be dangerous. Rocks often have air pockets in them and if you heat them up the air trapped inside can expand to the point of exploding.

Hi
Pvc and silicone seal have proper msds which inform of it Safety usage
Right?
I think anything that contain acetone is danger to fish
Right?

Yeah acetone would be really bad its the main ingredient in nail polish remover definitely don't want that anywhere near your tank. I will have to make sure if i do decide to get pvc that i get the right stuff

Or i can play it safe stick to terracotta and ceramics Ive bought a few pieces at the dollar store i also have been making my own plastic plants from the ones found at the dollar store i strip the wire out and make a base from the bottom of a 2 litre pop bottle

I forgot to add, you can use coffee mugs or some other stuff you can find in your kitchen as long as it is dishwasher safe it is usually fish safe.

As to having the rocks explode, I have never had that happen, but have always used somewhat porous rocks.

Back
Top Bottom