Looking for ways to save money on an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I just realized that I lied, the 215g I bought second hand with stand, I paid $400 for. A bunch of guys delivered it for that price tho. It's an older oceanic too, weighs about 500lbs!

Ignore manufacturers' recommendations for replacing filter pads. They often want you to drop ridiculous amounts of money per month on maintenance. Just rinse your old filter material in water you've removed from the tank during a water change, and put it back in.

Some commercial filter pads, like for the Marineland line of filters, have become flimsier and now disintegrate over time, probably to encourage people to buy more. A lot of people adapt filters by filling them instead with sponge material that lasts indefinitely.

All my substrate is always sand from a hardware or pool filter supply store. I have play sand now but miss the pool filter sand I had previously, because this stuff compacts too much. All my rocks and wood/driftwood are collected from outside.

I have gotten tremendous deals on beautiful, healthy plants from forums like this and local aquarium clubs. There is no comparison with the stores. Goatnad on this site sent me the nicest group of plants I've ever received, for the lowest cost I've ever paid.

Use dry fertilizers for plants and mix them yourself instead of buying the expensive liquid type. I haven't done this yet because I am lazy, but I plan to next time.

Always question any recommended chemicals or additives to address aquarium problems like algae and many illnesses. Many early problems can be solved by making sure you have clean water and the right lighting schedule. Treat ich with heat if you can.

Monitor your local classifieds/Craigslist for free stuff or great deals. There are always people giving up the hobby or moving, and lots of fish being rehomed and supplies being given away or sold cheaply. I have purchased nice, used filters off Craigslist and Ebay, but you do have to be careful and read the descriptions carefully. I purchased what I thought was an Aquaclear 110, but it turned out that it was an Aquaclear 20, listed in the headline as "Aquaclear 110v," meaning 110 volts. No mention of the 20 in the ad. I couldn't ask for justice, because I was the one who misread.

Great advice!

And for a long time I had a led rope light on a 4' tank. Just taped it up under the frame on the outside with black electric tape and put it on a cheap timer. Didn't have the cool blue night light effect, but it made the tank look pretty good

Great idea!:)

If u had to spend money fixing the tank u didnt go cheap
I disagree a little. We have 18 tanks, I only bought 1 new. I've picked the rest up super cheap on buying/ selling apps or Craigslist. Alot of them are older, big Oceanic tanks. Heavy and well built with starfire front glass. I've had to reseal a bunch, but that doesn't take long and a tube of silicone 1 is cheap.

Although a more prciey initial investment I'd always look to buy in bulk. Many of the times you will need brought in volume are far cheaper.

Appreciate all the tips. It is a topsy Turvey world where accessories end up costing more than the actual tank

Hey everyone,
Recently, I came to realize that fishkeeping is a pretty expensive deal. I've spent over $400 on my aquarium - the general setup.
I plan to buy a new aquarium for my kids, and I wonder what could be efficient ways to save some money. I want the tank to look good and look professional, although money is a big deal for me. Any tips?

Skip the chemicals. Aside from treating water for chlorine, treating for diseases like ich, and test kits, everything else is just unnecessary.

R/Aquaswap on reddit sometimes has free or low cost tanks and material giveaways

Skip the chemicals. Aside from treating water for chlorine, treating for diseases like ich, and test kits, everything else is just unnecessary.

Stop buying expensive dechlorinating chemicals. Make your own with using sodium thiosulfate mixed in distilled or zero water.

Back
Top Bottom