Weird Ammonia Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fully cycled 20g tank. Recently, my ammonia readings have shown 0.25 ppm for the tank. However, the nitrites are at 0 ppm and the nitrates are at 10 ppm which is normal for my tank, so I have no idea what's going on. If the readings are true, I'd like to know because the shrimp in the tank are pretty sensitive to ammonia (RCS and Amano).

Attached is a pic of my water tests. Test tubes left to right: tank ammonia, tap ammonia, tank nitrate.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 29
After looking into this issue a bit more, I found this website: Ammonia Calculator

I inputted my pH (~7.0) and my total ammonia (NH3+NH4), plus my aquarium temperature (23.4 C). The resulting free ammonia was ~0.00126 ppm. Should I still be concerned about the high ammonia readings? I don't know if the website is trustworthy or not. I found another that says the same exact thing though :/.

After looking into this issue a bit more, I found this website: Ammonia Calculator

I inputted my pH (~7.0) and my total ammonia (NH3+NH4), plus my aquarium temperature (23.4 C). The resulting free ammonia was ~0.00126 ppm. Should I still be concerned about the high ammonia readings? I don't know if the website is trustworthy or not. I found another that says the same exact thing though :/.

Nice find

The tank has been running for around 8 months now.

Nice to hear! I took out my shrimp in an emergency and water changed/heated the bucket I put them in. Should I put them back into the tank?

Back
Top Bottom