went to a creek today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sticklebacks are rather distinguishable: your three choices are brook, threespine, and ninespine for the area you live in. As far as daces your choices: southern redbelly, blacknose, and longnose.

that helps alot man! im pretty sure its 3spine because they have 3 spines :wink:
their really cute and they look alot like puffers

im betting its a blacknose dace. if it really is a dace. i dont know all my choices and i spent an hour looking around and checking pics :(.

[quote="id10t]
Hrmm... what about those of us who's natives are your tropicals? [/quote]

Disease and parasites are still quite possible, even if the temps are not an issue like they would be for northern fish.

Here's another link to an excellent Native Fish site:
http://www.nanfa.org/default.shtml

I'm also glad to see that people on this thread took some time to visit the other site I posted! It's important to do your research before taking up any new aspect of this hobby.

Also, you should each check with your State, see what kind of regulations they have for collecting fish from the wild.

ive decided on the fish now. 3 spined stickleback, rosy minnows and blacknosed dace. maybe not exact but its close enough lol..

i decided on rosys because i read they could be caught in the wild and they look like the kind they have in the stores

Your DNR generally will have list of natives in your area. I know KY does they used to put out a little booklet of native species for free. When it comes to natives you don't have far to drive to get to the "holy grail". Tennesse has the richest freshwater fauna in the US. Slightly over 300 species with around 280 being natives.

Lepomis said:
Your DNR generally will have list of natives in your area. I know KY does they used to put out a little booklet of native species for free. When it comes to natives you don't have far to drive to get to the "holy grail". Tennesse has the richest freshwater fauna in the US. Slightly over 300 species with around 280 being natives.

Thanks, I was just thinking about the little book.. I saw one about 3 years ago and it just came to me.. I think I can pick one up were ever they sell fishing licences.. Tennessee.. Ill have to give my cousin a call! :D

I live in australia so our nativefish are gudgeons, rainbowfish and pacific blue eyes (gertrudae sp?) I tried to look for them in creeks but found zilch as it is winter and drought. Guess I'll have to wait until spring

well... sometimes i want to live somewhere else. but if i lived there instead of here then id be dreaming of this house. and of me on this forum, in this chair, in this city lalala. lol

but id be mainly interested in the blue eyes. a big school of them would look cool!

I was talking to the lfs. He said if ii wanted he could order in most of the gertrudae species and i can get them for $1.50 :mrgreen: but it will be more fun to catch them

greenmagi said:
corvuscorax.. How do you find out wich natives are in your area?

Through the Maryland DNR site http://www.dnr.state.md.us/sw_index_flash.asp and through various Field Guides(books) I've bought over the years.

Both NFC and NANFA should have good species ID also, but you'd have to bring the fish home first, then ID. A field guide you can take with you to the stream (duh).

well.. unless the ones you buy from the stores are wild, i think you might have more deaths.

corvuscorax said:
greenmagi said:
corvuscorax.. How do you find out wich natives are in your area?

Through the Maryland DNR site http://www.dnr.state.md.us/sw_index_flash.asp and through various Field Guides(books) I've bought over the years.

Both NFC and NANFA should have good species ID also, but you'd have to bring the fish home first, then ID. A field guide you can take with you to the stream (duh).

I should have done a little research before posting that... I didnt realise it was your dnr's hompage.. Our dnr has a homepage and speises search...by county even!
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/kfwis/speciesInfo/countyList.asp?strGroup=1
NICE!

its a small unicelled? organism. it looks like a tiny coral imo. i cant explain it very well though

from http://www.planet-pets.com/plnthydr.htm

"The hydra is one of a few freshwater cnadarians, the bulk of which are marine. The body of a hydra is a bag whose wall is made up of two layers of cells separated only by a very thin layer of non-cellular material. The tentacles, which usually number five or six but may be as few as four or as many as twelve, are hollow. They surround the mouth, while the other end of the body is a basal disc which normally anchors the hydra by a sticky secretion. Though often abundant in ponds, hydras frequently escape notice because of their habit of retracting into a tiny blob when disturbed. Both tentacles and body are very extensible, for the bases of many of the cells are drawn out as muscle fibers. The nervous system is extremely simple, made up of only a network of nerve cells. There is no brain of any sorts."

hydra1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom