went to a creek today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, they can sting.

more from the same site:

"Hydras, like their relatives the jellyfish and sea anemones, have stinging cells with which they capture their prey. Each stinging cell is a rounded cell with a hollow coiled thread inside that can be shot out at great speed. Hydra has four kinds. The first thread injects a poison. The second kind when shot out, if the prey has bristles, becomes entangled in it. The third is probably defensive, and the fourth is used to fasten the tentacles when the hydra is walking.
When a cell is discharged, its thread is forced inside out. the cells used in capturing the prey are discharged when the prey touches a little trigger on the cell. Touch, however, is not enough, for the stinging cell must also be stimulated by chemicals in the water that are given out by the prey."

rauch10.gif

Just the other day I went to a popular section of springs around here and saw some amazing looking fish, only one which I believe I could identify. A different fish that I saw, which i believe is one of the most brilliantly colored fish i have seen, I would like to know the name of and more about. After looking at the sites you all named I still can't find any places to find native Texas fish. If anyone could help me find a site it would be very appreciated.

There are a few places you can order those from specifically to keep in your aquarium... we have some of the most beautiful springs in the world just a few miles from me (do a google for Ginnie Springs)... one day, I'll have a massive 120+ gal. tank and I'll duplicate a little piece of it.

Catch your own. Why pay someone to go out and catch it, stress it, and ship it to you. Longears along with many other natives are plentiful in local waters. Get some worms or some crickets and head to the lake, pond, or creek or take a seine and get to.

Lepomis said:
Catch your own. Why pay someone to go out and catch it, stress it, and ship it to you. Longears along with many other natives are plentiful in local waters. Get some worms or some crickets and head to the lake, pond, or creek or take a seine and get to.

I havnt seen one in the wild since I moved from southern IN.. :(

I'm seriously considering keeping some Pumpkinseeds Lepomis gibbosus

Shedd_PumpkinseedFish.gif

This one lake where I go fishing has super-colorful Pumpkinseeds.

I hear they are very popular in Europe as aquarium fish.

Greenmagi, haven't seen a longear in your area? Not catching one would be about the same odds as not winning the lottery. :lol: Many of the larger creeks are chocked full of them, along with the other bodies of water.

Pumpkinseeds are a nice fish also. I kept greensunfish for several years. I really enjoyed them. I kept them in an all natural tank since they are very tolerant of poor water quality. Not that my water quality was poor but just didn't have to worry about them when I left for trips, weekends, or vacations.

I have a great ultra-light spinning reel setup.. I can catch some serious pan-fish, I just havnt caught any sunfish since Ive lived in southern IN.. I should check my DNR's web-site and pick up a fishing licence.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom