What Am I Doing Right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry for the click-bait! But so many threads start with something "wrong," I thought perhaps a little change of pace might be in order... :whistle:

See below pic of my 190, looking from the end. Marineland 560 rated for 150gal, has been running 108 days since last cleaning. This is the only filtration on the tank. Note how you can make out the picture of my daughter on the wall, 15 feet away out the other side.

190-01.jpg

Filter media consists of the standard plastic bits that come with most canisters of this type, plus layers of polyfil, activated carbon and crushed coral. The water seems to be getting better the longer it goes.

Oh I just wanna hate you right now. I'm green with envy.

I'm doing canister cleaning and tank too today.

:p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plastic plants I assumed? Not complaining - clear water, looks low maintenance, low algae I also assume. I reckon the tank is very well presented. ?

Plastic plants I assumed?
Right - no real flora in there, except for the duckweed floating on top. :cool:

Bart (the albino oscar) hasn't yet finished the last batch I dumped in there a few days ago. I think some of the other fish eat it too, but he's the only one I've seen doing so.

Right - no real flora in there, except for the duckweed floating on top. :cool:

Bart (the albino oscar) hasn't yet finished the last batch I dumped in there a few days ago. I think some of the other fish eat it too, but he's the only one I've seen doing so.

Sounds ideal! I can usually only manage really clear water after a pwc. I noticed the barbs used to eat my duckweed - never survived but cheap to buy. And the loaches got any snails.

Looks nice...what fish do you have?? If under-stocked obviously that will have a great impact on the water quality.

Looks nice...what fish do you have?
The current lineup looks like this:

1 Oscar 7"
1 Jack Dempsey - 6"
2 Convicts -3"
2 Apistos - 2"

../ and the rest full-grown adults:

1 Chinese Alga Eater
1 Striped Rafael
2 Pictus
3 Dwarf Puffers
3 Giant Danios

Understocked? I think not. Do people believe a properly "stocked" tank is on the verge of over-populated, maxing the environment and equipment's support capability? That could explain alot of things gone wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how your dwarf cichlids have avoided becoming meals for your oscar or jack dempsey. I also feel that your dwarf puffers and giant danios are in peril.

Yes it is quite the unusual group, isn't it? :brows:

I do worry about the Apistos, but they have plenty of hiding places, and seem to be quicker and quite adept at avoiding the big guys. The Puffers must be naturally offensive to the predators somehow. They swim around together oblivious to each other. The Danios appear to be big enough and quick enough to not be on the menu.

Go figure. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom