What can live in a vase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a betta in a one gallon vase on my desk. I didn't know better at the time. I wouldn't call it cruel. We kept each other company. It had a peace lily at the top with roots that dangled down. He would often explore the nooks & crannies of the roots, at a very slow pace. And I'd change his world around every week or so to keep things interesting. Even turning the vase just 90 degrees would change the rooting & lighting to him. He lived for 5 years in it which is pretty good for a betta.

BUT, now I know a little better. I've got a 10g planted aquarium with a female betta and 4 albino cories. The difference in behavior is night & day. She is much more active. Sometimes she swims up & down the length of the tank. Other times she's exploring her much bigger world of plants & driftwood. Every time I'm doing any maintenance in the tank, she's within a couple of inches of my hand, always curious about what is going on.

IMO, a bigger space will bring out more of the qualities of the betta. But if you do go with a smaller space, then you would have to work much harder at enrichment.

To be honest I think a reasonable sized bowl (ie 1 or 1.5 gallons or larger) is ok for a betta. I know that isnt a popular position but bettas are a sedentary fish that hates water flow. So if I getba big bowl mayne I will get a betta...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even inverts (other than daphnia maybe) won't work in a vase unless it is heated. You would need heat for shrimp, for example.

GodFan, I have been doing lots of research before I get my first betta and they are most definitely NOT sedentary fish. They are normally pretty active fish and need space to move. Just because we see them that way doesn't mean it is normal. :)

Even inverts (other than daphnia maybe) won't work in a vase unless it is heated. You would need heat for shrimp, for example.

GodFan, I have been doing lots of research before I get my first betta and they are most definitely NOT sedentary fish. They are normally pretty active fish and need space to move. Just because we see them that way doesn't mean it is normal. :)

From everything I have read foom temp is ok for red cherry shrimp. I know pond snails will be fine in much colder than that. I cant imagine ramshorns being any different.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You may be right on temp--65-80 is the standard acceptable range for red shrimp. I have ramshorns snails in vases at room temp with no problem (I grow extra java moss in vases).

Last time I checked these lived in a vase and fish lives in an aquarium?

Actually, if we are going to be technical, those flowers are not going to go on living - they are already dead, they just don't know it yet.

There are a ton of invertebrates that will do just fine in a vase without heat - most are kept in aquariums on a normal basis, be even several varieties of ornamental shrimp are fine without a heater.

Back
Top Bottom