What fish is this!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The moment i saw this fish in my lsf i was really surprise!!! 8O

Now it been living in my tank for 2 healthy months but i still unable to identified this fish despict countless of searching on net.

My lsf called it "slipper fish" but i doubt this is the real name.

Would anyone kindly let my know the name so i can do further study on it.

Tnks.

:?:

Wow!!! Cool look'n fish!!! I have no idea, but it kinda resembles the flounder a little... I think that is the fish I was thinking about. If you do find out, let us know.

Looks like a freshwater flounder to me. They need brackishwater, in the higher range. They won't do well in FW.

I believe the flounders, like so many SW fish, are born in FW areas in marshes and up river from oceans because these locations offer more protection/shelter from predators. As the flounder grows older, it needs more and more salt, as in a natural environment it returns to the ocean.

Sort of a misnomer, FW Flounder....

On Fishbase.org it is may be the "Freshwater Sole" UK entry. However, I'm not sure if your specimen has already outgrown the 5 cm maximum size FB states: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Trinectes&speciesname=fluviatilis

Search around in the flounder and sole sections of Fishbase.org and you might be able to find a fish that really fits your specimen.

As far as I know--flounder are mainly bottom feeders (duh) and appreciate crustaceans such as snails in their diet. They also eat tubifex and detrital scraps of other foods, as they are omnivorous (I believe). Don't quote me on that last sentence...

I saw these yesterday at Petsmart of all places, and was quite surprised! I had just logged on to do my bit of research when I saw your post. They definitely are some kind of flounder/sole type thing, but they attach to the glass, not bury themselves in the substrate (maybe gravel is not the comfy thing for them to burrow in). I was intrigued but suspicious!

The ones I saw were perfectly spear-shaped, with no definite tail to speak of, and had eyes on one side of the head. Very bizarre to see at Petsmart and bizarre to see in a FW tank! From what I can tell, they really do better in brackish conditions, and will eat small fish.

Did they call em slipper fish too Tank? And did they bother putting up that lil descriptive card with the latin names on the tank? I'll try to stop off at my local Petsmart and see if they got them too. I'm curious as well; neat looking fish, but it would suck if they are promoting them as FW fish if they are in need of an ever increasing level of salt as they grow older...

They did call them slipper fish, and NO latin name! For SHAME! I was annoyed, because I was drawn to the display, and the fish clerk had no idea (no surprise, but this one is usually pretty much on her toes). You gotta see 'em!

This reminds me of the time Petsmart had a red-tailed catfish in a tank, and I was in love! Black as night, white as snow, and red as blood all in a cute little 4-inch fish. I went home like a good girl and discovered they get over 5' long, (well, almost 5' long) and eat EVERYTHING! That was close...

Megalofyia said:
William said:
From the picture, it looks like some kind of Knife Fish to me...

That's what I thought too. But I'm not a big 'identify this fish' expert.

I only said that because I saw several types of knifefish yesterday, and he looks quite similar to them.

I found a picture of a fish that looks similar to your fish. Maybe it's some sort of relative. The fish I found a picture of is an English Sole.

if someone tells me how to add pictures to posts I'll post it's picture.

More Description on codename "slipper fish" :-

From my lfs, the maximum size i saw was about 15-16 cm. I was also been told that the max size it could grow and it will took about 3-4 years to reach that size.

My lfs told me it take fish pallet or any food that fit into its mouth (yet despict 2 months of close observation i still couldn't locate its mouth... )

And i feed it with cocktail of food as with my other fish :- Froozen bloodworm, froozen brine srimp, fish pellet and dried dypnia (but i notice it only interested in pellet).

Btw Allivymar, i have 2 hillstream loach too :)

I will try to take more pic of it to aid you guy.

TQ

Hi more picture. Its really hard to take slipper's picture as most of the time he just buried himself in the gravel.....

Btw for picture 5 and 6 pls minus the green spot as its frm my tank not slipper. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom