What is my new plec?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BD8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Just wandering if someone can identify my new plec, he was the last plec in a tank full of Royal Plecs, so I bought him as well.

It has to be less than a certain size, (a jpeg with 800x600 pixels is usually just about right) so if you tried to attach it and couldn't, you may have had a file that was too large.

If you didn't get that far, post a reply to this message (not by writing in the box at the screen bottom, but by hitting the "reply" button) and go down to the box which says "browse" next to "Filename." Find the file that you want to post, and hit "open" in the popup file window. Then, hit "add attachment" in the reply page and wait a few seconds or minutes. When you've done this, hit submit. If it doesn't work, your file is prob. too large.

In the meanwhile, what does the plec look like? Spotted, striped, spiny, bushy? Looking forward to a pic!

The plec has orange/yellow spots on his head and body and yellow bands on it's tail.

I have that same pleco (or something VERY similar) and it was sold to me as a "Leopard Pleco." I was told that it would stay very small but other than that I don't know all that much. HTH

Wow! You're a lucky man... or woman? Person.

That's an awesome awesome plec. Actually, I remember Holly (I think) posting a pic of a fairly similar pleco a couple of months ago.

Now, "Leopard Pleco" is a bit of a generic title... Let's try to nail down the L-number.

Planet Catfish is really the best source for pictures and L-numbers. Here's one possibility: L-008, Leopard Peckoltia. Another possibility: LDA-09, Hypostomus mutucae. I've gone through the first 160 L-species. You can keep on looking if you want. The link is: http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/

Cool. Good to hear. Their picture are usually quite good, but I have to say the 2 specimens they had there (one in each L-number) looked a little faded. I think yours looks a lot nicer!

Out of interest, how much did you pay for him/her? I'm always on the lookout for ineteresting plecs. I have a queen arabesque, snowball L-142, and have 2 gold nuggets and 4 L-168 Splendid/Brazil Butterfly Plecs in the mail. I've never paid more than $25 for a plec, but have still been able to find great deals! Shipped I'm getting the 4 Brazil Butterflies for $45 (total!). And the gold nuggets for $15 each.

Anyhoo, just interested. Don't mean to gloat over my good fortune!

I live in England, so we probably pay more for everything! I have an adult gold nugget plec that I bought for £12, but they usually sell here for £35-45 for the same size! The L-008 I got for £14 which was supposed to be £20, so I was quite pleased, I bought it with a striped royal panaque. I also have a couple gold plecs (£5.95 each), not sure their proper name, a couple of bristle noses, two bull dog plecs (£4.95 each), and an albino plec. The Pseudacanthicus leopardus cost me £49.99 though which is a heck of a lot if you put that into dollars! I want a gold line tiger pleco next, which I think my local fish shop is calling a scribble plec.

Nice Pleco.... i would like a gold nugget pleco but can not put them in with what i am having next shame i will have to buy a tank so i can have just plecos Hmmmmmm need more room...lol.......

Got the gold nuggets yesterday! They're beauties!! So glad to have them. I *love* plecos. They're just the coolest. I sent my friend a picture of some of the real best-looking plecs--zebras, Q. arabesque, Opal Spotted, gold nugget--and she thought they were all ugly! No accounting for taste...

I don't keep them all in the same tank. They are in 5 different tanks, although one tank has the two bristle noses, the royal panaque, the gold nugget plec and the leopardus. They all get on fine, but they do compete for prime spots some times. For instance, the gold nugget plec used to spend most of the day on a stone that leans on to a big piece of bogwood, but sometimes the Leopardus decides that he wants to chill there, so he'll wander along sit (well suck) on to the wood next to the nugget plec and push him off with a few tail whips. No one get physically hurt though, mabe just a bit of pride! But yeah, they all get along, not like my cichlids though! - they are such bullies

I really want a zebra plec, but they are really expensive here. They cost around £45-55 for 2 inches or less. I have heard different stories on how large they grow. Someone told me that they don't grow larger than 1 1/2 to 2 inches, but I read that they could grow to around 3.

I also have a friend who thinks plecs are ugly too, but then she thinks my male green terror is ugly, and he's absolutely stunning.

I have one tank that has Green Severums and T-Bar Cichlids. The T-bars have just laid eggs and are living in a pot and guarding it well. The three inch male has fought off the 6 1/2 inch green severums, who are placid anyway. I also keep a firemouth, albino convicts, convicts, and gold severums. I used to have a texas cichlid, some jewel cichlids and some neon jewel cichlids. Jewel cichlids are terrible nasty fish that bully anything that can't physically kill it! My 3 inch jewel cichlid tried to take on a 7inch green terror, until the green terror put him in his place, but I had to take the jewel cichlids back as they didn't fit into any of the 5 tanks that I have set up at the moment. Shame, as they are beautiful. I also have a 10 1/2 inch flower horn that is amazing, he is like a puppy. He is my largest fish until Saturday when I am being given a 14 inch Australian Arrowana!

So, I guess all my cichlids are central and south american. I have yet to buy any africans, although frontosas are very tempting!

Back
Top Bottom