What is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can pick it out. There's two.

img_687460_0_d04ffa2bfb129062567f22c5dfe505c0.jpg

Click my info for my fish. I don't have many more details. It showed up about a day ago and I was wondering if it was an egg or something like that. I have a 55 gallon and I do partial water changes once a week. I just started with a few live plants about a month go.

Definately not an egg unless you have a Humboldt squid in there. is it even organic? Looks like a chunk of styrofoam to me, otherwise maybe something dead covered in fungus? Pick one out and then pick it apart, and see whats what...

looks like styrofoam to me too, but i didn't want to say it.

Was there anything attached to the bottom of your plants? Some plants like the ones from Petco in the tube are attached to white matter and fertilizer that looks like that. Just a thought.

Looks pretty bouyant to me...can't say for sure that it's styrofoam. It doesn't appear to be alive. If it's inorganic, great! Then it's just a matter of determining where it came from. If not, then something perished.

Okay. i cut it open. It was a hard water deposit I believe. It was sort of crystally. Darn, I was hoping something was going to hatch.

Thanks for your help!!! :lol: :oops:

I have never seen an egg look like that, eggs (the ones I have had) are round like caviar, and translucent, and in bunches of ALOT, and usually stuck on rock/DW/glass/flowerpot etc. But I don't know everything!!! Like I said, I know squid and octopus have floating eggs... Don't Bettas build a bubble nest at the surface too?

Back
Top Bottom