What is this?!? ID please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I ordered a bunch of fish this week from Aquabid and got them in today.

Found a little hitchhiker, and I'd really like to know what it is.

I originally thought that it was a piece of leaf, a a dead plant stem, or something not living, but then I saw it swimming, in an S shape.
It is only about maybe 1.5" right now, I don't see any fins or eyes on it, maybe because it's so small. I didn't really get a very good look at him though, I saw him swimming for maybe 2 seconds and spent more time being shocked than looking at the features before it went and hid by the tank's frame.

This picture is from the bottom of the tank, sorry it's not the best quality, but the only picture I could get.

I will try to take more throughout the day

Attachments

• image-3403647598.jpg
    image-3403647598.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 128
Not at all, here's some more pics

Attachments

• image-1223386005.jpg
    image-1223386005.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1305627543.jpg
    image-1305627543.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 112
  • image-784335112.jpg
    image-784335112.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 115
How did I get a leech?! That's insane.
Can I just tos it into the trash or should I dispose of it some other way

Edit: sorry, double post!

But, I moved it into a little bowl until I know how I can dispose of it.
Wondering if that's the reason I had 2 DOA guppies today? They shouldn't have been DOA considering I got them from Lotsoffish and he really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Edit: sorry, double post!

But, I moved it into a little bowl until I know how I can dispose of it.
Wondering if that's the reason I had 2 DOA guppies today? They shouldn't have been DOA considering I got them from Lotsoffish and he really knows his stuff.

That may be a reason. Does he have a live arrival guarantee? I'm pretty stumped how you got leach too. That's really strange.....

Could be fish leech. Rather than having a mammal host, this invertebrate preys on fish

Is it possible it could just be a giant planaria? I've never had planaria before so I don't know, but that's what the seller suggested when I asked what it could be.

Said that it probably showed up in the plants and that he might have taken them from a shrimp tank which sometimes have planaria problem.

Does one end have an arrow shaped head? If it does then it could be a planarian

Phew!!! That'll be a gigantic planeria if it really is one!!! That's also pretty scary. I never seen one that big. :hide:

Phew!!! That'll be a gigantic planeria if it really is one!!! That's also pretty scary. I never seen one that big. :hide:

Haha! I've never seen one at all! I'd rather it be planaria than a leech, but I'm guessing it's more likely to be a leech, which I've never seen either lol

Yeah, I chopped it up and threw it out. Was considering feeding my swords with it, but didn't want to take that risk.

I must have gotten it from the plants I got in today, which is really surprising as they were all supposed to be taken directly from tanks.

Yeah, I chopped it up and threw it out. Was considering feeding my swords with it, but didn't want to take that risk.

I must have gotten it from the plants I got in today, which is really surprising as they were all supposed to be taken directly from tanks.

That is one scary experience. Lol, you chopped it up XD. If you had koi, they would love to eat it. Maybe the tanks the plants were in had a whole leeches bunch of leeches in it. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom