What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vaguely remember a 10 gal freshwater tank when I was a kid. (1960s, yeah, I am OLD LoL) My mom got it for my 2 brothers and me. I remember the calmness I felt watching the fish for hours, instead of TV. Fast forward to the '90s... I was a driver for a horse and buggy company in New Hope, PA and the only bathroom was in the owner's home. The one time I had to use it, their heater was broken and I saw on the counter top a beautiful blue Betta in a flippin large glass beer stein. I told my boss that the fish was going to die from the cold, only because I knew they were basically considered "tropical" and that they would fight. And that is all I knew. So, I took him home and named him "Master Betta Max". He moved into his new 10 gallon home and that was my first personal "fish". I had always seen and been secretly in love with Angelfish, and bought a second tank... a 30 gallon tall. I bought some silver and black Angelfish that were the size of an American quarter and they grew to be HUGE! I also had Mystik Sharks in that tank with them. I got a divorce, sold the house and moved to Tennessee. Max was almost 6 when my best friend's son Christopher said that he didn't think Max would make the move, so I gave him to Christopher. He was my pet sitter for years and adored Max as much as I did. I gave my Angels and their tanks to a friend who had like 15 tanks all over his house, so I knew that they were in good hands, also. 5 years ago I got a job as a live-in companion to a lady, now friend, in Alabama who had 2 HUGE 250 gallon saltwater tanks and I took care of them for her. What a job! I loved it. But, all good things must come to an end and I took a job in Chicago, but I got attacked by my boss' pit bull, was hospitalized and now can't work anymore and am on disability. I stayed friendly with the gal in Alabama and she recently started breeding Bettas. So, now I want some again. They are my favorite fish, and I so want to learn all I can. I just bought a pair from Indonesia, and need to glean as much as I can ASAP. Hopefully before they get here so they can thrive and be happy.

I grew up with a 20 Gallon aquarium in the kitchen. I vividly remember my father cleaning the fish tank. I always thought the water smelled badly.

As I grew into adulthood I ended up with one of those peace lilys, with the Betta fish in the bottom. That led to a 20 Gallon with 3 FancyTail Goldfish. I had that tank and those fish for a long time. I then advanced to a 30 Gallon, which was very short lived, and then into a 55 Gallon. I have had my 55 Gallon for 3 years. I am now currently in the process of setting up a 75 G.

I grew up with a 20 Gallon aquarium in the kitchen. I vividly remember my father cleaning the fish tank. I always thought the water smelled badly.

As I grew into adulthood I ended up with one of those peace lilys, with the Betta fish in the bottom. That led to a 20 Gallon with 3 FancyTail Goldfish. I had that tank and those fish for a long time. I then advanced to a 30 Gallon, which was very short lived, and then into a 55 Gallon. I have had my 55 Gallon for 3 years. I am now currently in the process of setting up a 75 G.
I just wanted fish since I saw goldfish in a fish bowl in a cousin's house just past the age of just above a toddler. As I grew, my favorite fish became angle fish. As I got even older, my favorite became discus. I was just as pleased with discus beauty as anyone who tried to tell me they thought marine fish were prettier. My discus keeping days ended 15 years ago, but I still have a beautiful 55 gallon tank with 4 Angels...2 marbled, 1 striped, and 1 totally blonde. There's also a beautiful red betta and a peaceful school of redeyed tetras. I get only compliments on my aquarium. I also don't like more water parameters such as salinity levels to keep an eye on. Bless all the marine aquarium keepers, but I'll stick to my freshwater hobby.

Primarily for nostalgia purposes, as well as a rather curious, contrasting comparison with today's vastly imporoved technology from almost 30 years ago for me. Moreover, technology, and the sheer amount of technology was different in the year 1990--hence my newly peaked interest in the past year or so. We as humans are even more so adept, affuent and decisive in this day and age at providing the best care for our animals, fish or others. For example, back then we had really cheesy and kinda sad water changing devices. Nowadays we have the Python. Another example would be, LED lighting. Better filtration, and so on. So indeed, this is one of many many examples, in contrast in consideration of days past, of redeeming qualities that drew me back into fisk keeping. Back then I bred Discus and livebearers. It was tough then for Discus, but nowadays it's much more convenient and less scrutiny involved per thanks to the easily available technology. Addtionally, back then there really was no solid internet to utilize for info, opinions and help. But now, it's in over abundance for the most part. This is mostly why I got back into it. : )

My husband and I had our first one about 10years ago, and a Ghost Knife fish first stole my heart. I don’t see them around anymore these days. They were a very unique species.
Being military we moved too much and passed on the tank.
Due to newer filtration systems (that are easier to care for) my husband and I now have a saltwater tank, and our two kids have a freshwater each. It keeps them busy with constant questions and research, and being that we homeschool it just come natural to them to dive in and learn! One adopted an Axolotl, the other and a DoJo.
Great for the whole family, very soothing to enjoy.

My husband and I had our first one about 10years ago, and a Ghost Knife fish first stole my heart. I don’t see them around anymore these days. They were a very unique species.
Being military we moved too much and passed on the tank.
Due to newer filtration systems (that are easier to care for) my husband and I now have a saltwater tank, and our two kids have a freshwater each. It keeps them busy with constant questions and research, and being that we homeschool it just come natural to them to dive in and learn! One adopted an Axolotl, the other and a DoJo.
Great for the whole family, very soothing to enjoy.
Except for marine fish, many fish are now raised in tanks and and hatcheries. This is why you see many more color variations in Angel fish and Discus and others. Knife fish are extremely difficult to breed in these conditions and few freshwater are taken from the wild anylonger with a few exceptions. Some fish have become outlawed because they get let go in the wild by people that don't want them anylonger. There is a large pond near where I live that has been overtaken by snakeheads. The are large and eat everything. The county has considered sterilizing the pond and restocking it with native species again, but restoration would take many years. I live in Delaware and have a local pond that has been decimated by a stranger fish. Just imagine what a cesspool of tropical fish are now in Florida's Everglades. Congratulations on the new saltwater tank.

i'm 62 years old now. When i was 10, I got my first fish tank; a 10 gallon, then a five gallon. At age twelve, my parents divorced and I relocated to another country. I went through jr. high, high college ,and a military career all without ever keeping fish again. 2 years ago i suffered a stroke (i'm now disabled). I live alone and sometimes days are long. I've always liked pets,so after much thinking about it, decided to get back into fishkeeping after 50 years. I got a 10 gallon kit, then bought a 5.5gallon in case I needed emergency accommodations for sick fish. I'm just about to upgrade to a 29 gallon. That's my story in a nutshell. Glad I found this group.

Welcome to AA. If your health allows, might consider a 55 gal. As your next upgrade.
Can pick up a 55 g. For about the same price as a 29 gal. Craigslist is usually packed with quality 55 g. Complete setups for cheap. The larger tank offers so many more options regarding stock and decor.

A buddy of mine at work gave me a ten gallon tank and I started out knowing absolutely nothing about the hobby but I really enjoyed it, so there were some growing pains and a loss of a few fish but I upgraded to a 40 tall then I added a 75 gallon then I bout a 125 gallon and sold the other 2 thanks and now have a beautiful planted tank and am obsessed and love my fish. I also still have my first ten gallon I got about 7 years ago with some khuli loaches and a baby jack dempsey in it. 20180627_175151.jpg

Like Krista my parents had a fish tank in the kitchen. I, too, vividly remember my dad washing and cleaning the tank and driving the 20-ish mins it took to get to the spring for water for the tank. I also remember the pans sitting outside when it rained and he collected it there. I think it was a 10 gallon (tho i'm really not sure at all...) with goldfish in it. One was a black moor, his name was Popeye, he was my favorite. Had him so long he slowly faded from black to gold! When dad got tired of cleaning and taking care of it, I remember driving back to the place we got the water and letting the goldies go in that tank. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't a water way type thing, just a huge huge concrete tank, with a spring attached to it and a lot of goldfish already in there!

Now I've got a 20 gal with guppies and a 55 with goldfish. I'm also in the process of setting up/cycling a 10 gallon for a grow out tank (and wishing I had a LFS to give the baby guppies to so they could be sold...)

I haven't started my tank yet, but I'd much prefer freshwater. I'd really like a paludarium, so the large amount of plant life I'm aiming for needs fresh. Even if I were just doing a planted aquarium, I prefer the freshwater plants such as frogbit and water lettuce.

I don't know what initially made me want to have fish, but what made me want to start a freshwater tank specifically for a betta was to rescue them. I know that they would be easier to rescue because I can and have asked the staff at Petco for their sickest, most unwanted betta for free. So, I'll be starting one up again soon.

What a great thing to do, Allo! Petco and Petsmart always have such pitiful looking bettas. It's very disheartening knowing that even if they are bought, they will likely end up with people who are misinformed.

It's great knowing that even if you can't change the conditions that betta fish are continuously housed and sold in, at least you're saving numerous individuals who would otherwise languish.

What a great thing to do, Allo! Petco and Petsmart always have such pitiful looking bettas. It's very disheartening knowing that even if they are bought, they will likely end up with people who are misinformed.

It's great knowing that even if you can't change the conditions that betta fish are continuously housed and sold in, at least you're saving numerous individuals who would otherwise languish.
Ah thank you! : ) Glad that there's awareness for the despicable conditions the poor fish are kept in. And I agree, we can't save every fish but to save even a few is an honor.

I've got all of my bettas from there. Sometimes you come across some nice ones. I have all of mine in at least 5 gallons. I did the bowl thing before I am afraid but I try to do better now.

I got into the hobby 2 yrs ago when i just decided i loved fish. Im 13 now and have two 20gals and a 36gal bow-front i got three days ago.

My daughter and my grandson (age 4) at the time were staying with me during her complicated divorce. My grandson won a feeder goldfish at the fair. They had their own private space at my house so really never knew what they did with Flipper, the goldfish. My daughter got her own place but took months before she took all her stuff. I finally decided to pack and box up all her stuff for her. Came across this very little fish carrier that they got to take the fish home from the fair in. Only half filled with stinky, blackish water. Was sure there was a rotting fish inside but amazingly it was alive! Talk about a survivor! Ran out and got a fish bowl, then a few months later, got a 3 gl hexagon tank. My husband sand he needed a friend so bought another cheap goldfish in a pet store. Flipper killed his "friend" the next day. Flipper next got a 10 gl aquarium and kept on growing. Found a great deal on a 36 gl beveled tank so Flipper got another tank. This time I told him he was going to just have to get along with others. Added a pleco and my golden dojo loach. Then a more common brownish dojo and a couple weeks later a 3rd common dojo. Love the dojos so much that I upgraded Flipper once more to a 55 gl and added 2 more of the more common dojos. All are very healthy. Flipper is about 7", Frankie, the bristlenose pleco, Finly, the golden and Funly, Friendly, Farley and Freely. Flipper has learned to become very friendly with the others and sometimes I think that HE thinks he is a loach by his actions.

Back
Top Bottom