what other schooling fish good with danios??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
29 gallon..just cycled. I have 5 zebra danios currently and thinking of getting 2-5 more.. I love schooling fish. What other schooling fish are good with danios in my size tank? Im thinking of getting 4 corys but they take up the bottom. Am i better off stocking with lots of danios? Or are there other good schooling fish that will stay seperate from danios? I also have a bristlenose pleco.

My neon tetras are pretty tight schoolers. They might nip your danios though. Mine aren't nippers but tetras have that reputation. Plus neon tetras look really kool.

Debauwi catfish/ african three stripe are excellent schoolers, I have 7 black skirt and 7 red phantom tetras they school sometimes but the debauwi's school almost constantly, very peaceful and a active mid dweller they don't hide from the light either, have a great swimming motion and very fast will give the danios a run in the speed stakes. They do however grow to 3" and you need at least six or they can be shy.

Agree that neons and cardinals in my short experience of owning them they always seem to be good schoolers

I have 8 Red Minor Tetras in my 100 tall and they are awesome. I haven't seen them bother any other fish. They sometimes school with my Bala Sharks which I find funny.

I have rummy nose tetras and they school very tightly most of the time. Of course, without a centerpiece fish, many schooling fish won't actually school. Assuming your filter is decent, you should have no problem with a school of tetras, some cories, and a smallish centerpiece fish like a honey gourami or an apisto in addition to the stock you have. :)

i have a ac 70

so how are rummy nose tetras with danios? how many total danios, rummy nose tetras and corys can i fit in this tank? plenty of filtration.... i dont want to overstock? im also looking at maybe a dawf qoumie, but like i said, i love schooling fish, so i have no issue not putting a gourmie in the tank if it means no overcrowding.. i was either looking at rummy nose tetras or harlequin rasboras or neon tetras, still have not decided which one of the three i want... all i know is i want as many schooling fish as possible....i was thinking maybe a total of 10 zebra danios, 10 rummy nose or rasboras or neons, and 4-5 peppered or bronze corys, if i have room after this then i will get a dwarf goumie.....are these numbers ok? or can i up the schooling even higher?

Rummies will be fine with danios. Rummies swim fairly low in the tank, so they won't even interact with the danios. Even if they did, it would still be fine.
I suggest you start with 8 of each of the schoolers and see how it goes. Its pretty easy to add more later if you feel it necessary, but I think 8 is a good number for this tank. :)
4-5 peppered cories would still be fine with that stock.
The dg does not have a huge bioload, so it won't affect the number of schoolers too much. Sometimes dg can be bothered by the hyper-activity of danios, but its usually fine.

Back
Top Bottom