What's your favorite schooling (shoaling) fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just started up a new planted tank With left over equipment I had on hand. I would like to have a nice school of fish but was curious what was some of your guys favorites?

I like denison barbs [rose line sharks] but I doubt you had left over 4'+ tank?
Rummy nose look very similiar,are smaller and known to be the tighest schooler of tropicals in many keepers opinion.
What size tank did you set up?

Just a random 20 long. I have Denison barbs (roseline sharks) in my 80 gal planted.

Always been found of rummy nose but not the price my pet-store wanted
I here that! $8.99 a pair here! Once long ago I bought 25 pair for my 180...:eek:
I have 3 left still?:nono:They lasted 4 years..
cardinals are right up there but live shorter,even considered 'annuals' by some!

These are too big for the tank but Congo tetras are lately taking out the prize for me.

Harlequin rasboras I did enjoy keeping as well.

Lemon Tetras are very hardy
Bleeding Hearts
Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry Barbs
Ember Tetras

I'm currently keeping Roselines and 15 Neons in my 55g

Underrated but awesome fish...
Glowlight Tetra. Give them subdued lighting some plants and dark background and maybe black substrate ?? Look great and hardier than Neon or Cardinal.
IMG_0288.jpg

Glowlight/Hengel's Rasboras might be worth a look if you're interested in smaller fish with coloration similar to Harlequin Rasboras. Added a dozen to my 29g and they're schooling nicely.

Long (high) Fin Serpae Tetras are one of my current 'gang' fish. Not good with fancy tails, but go well with Rainbows and Black Widow Tetras

Last edited:
I didn't know this at the time of purchase but SAE make good schoolers. I stared dosing excel and bought them to clear up some black algae

Back
Top Bottom