Where do most people keep their aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For those of you that only have one aquarium, which room in the house do you keep it?

• In a room that you spend a lot of time in (such as a living room or family room)?

Votes: 55 94.8%
  • In a room that you spend little time in (such as a basement or rec room)?

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering where most people keep their aquariums. Do they have dedicated rooms for them? In the living room? Basement? Here is my situation: I have an office in a room on the main floor of the house, and that is were I currently have my little 10 gallon tank on top of a dresser. I just got a 50 gallon and assumed I would put it there (my wife doesn't want it in the living room). But now I am wondering if I should just put it in the basement. We don't really hang out down there much, but it is a finished, furnished basement. There actually is spot down there where it would fit well, kind of at the end of the hall where you would still be able to see if from the rec room. And I will probably have to move my office downstairs anyways within the next couple years or so, so the tank would have to come out of there then if it were upstairs. Anyways, I know this isn't going to make sense to most people without actually seeing it, but what I really want to know is if people usually put their tanks in rooms that they are in all the time, or do you put them in less frequented rooms and make the effort to go there to watch you fish? Even the one in my office now is not in front of me, I still have to turn around to look at it. Do you tend to not watch your fish as often if they aren't in a room where you are all the time?

I didn't vote on the poll because I have more than one aquarium; in fact I suspect that a lot of the more frequent readers here do too.

For your house I'd worry more about where a larger tank makes sense, in terms of care and maintenance... where's the water coming from? My 10G in my basement is next to my computer gear and by the workout area; I don't live down there, but my rainbows get plenty of attention. And as there is no running water down there, a smaller tank has been easier to maintain (bucket by bucket).

On the other hand, my 'main' tank is in my main room, and there's really no going in or out of the house without passing it; those fish get plenty of attention, and it's 10 feet from the kitchen faucet and sink.

Can't imagine that 50G is going to fit on top of the dresser!

I have 1 cichlid tank (60G), 1 convict breeder (55G), 1 yellow shrimp breeder (20G Long) 1 red shrimp breeder (10G), and 1 heavily planted tank (5G) in my room.

Then I have 1 community lighty planted tank (20G) in the livingroom/computer room area.

So I voted a place where there is quite a bit of time spent.

I keep all of my tanks in my tiny bedroom. I never would dream of putting them somewhere that I cant see them all of the time. The sound of the water helps me too sleep.

I have more than a couple tanks, but they are all in 2 rooms. My room is in our basement (live with my parents atm)...and I have a 55g and a 10g QT tank in there. Right outside my room is a living/family room and the rest of the tanks are there, so they are all pretty close. I don't stay in my room/family room down there alot....but I do a pretty good bit. And if I'm not down there, my brother is...so someone is enjoying the tanks.

Mine is in my bedroom. Not only do I sleep better due to the bubbling. But my husbands snoring has decreased dramatically. The moisture in the air works wonders!

i have my 55g salt in the bedroom... since it uses ro/di only water.. doesnt matter.. thet 125 is in the livingroom.. and the 10 gallon is in the opposite corner of the 125... then in the dining room i have my feeder fish 5.5 tank.

I don't have much choice at school (it's on my desk next to my laptop, so my betta's constantly begging, lol), but at home it's in the living room. Everyone enjoys it and everyone comments on it when they visit. My mom's planning to put one in her bedroom, too.

Well right now I have my 10g and my 2.5g on my desk in my dorm and my 20g long in front of the desk. When i go home for the summer ill probably keep them all in either my room or basement somewhere. Im limited on options at school because I only have so much space, especially next year when i bring my 55gal to school. Makes for a nice study space though and one awesome lookin dorm room

Well it looks like maybe that basement idea is not a good one. That is true I might not make the effort to go down there to look at them and it might be a waste down there. I'm just worried about moving the tank in a couple years when I have to give up the upstairs room for kids when we have them. But I'll deal with that when the time comes. Or maybe I will move the office down there now, it would be quieter and cooler too in the summer! Thanks for all the input.

I have my community tank in the lounge room and about 10 tanks in the garage outside.

My 10g community tank is in the living room for public enjoyment.

My 30g tank (currently empty) is in my bedroom, which is awesome as I share a 2 bedroom apartment... Just 2 bedrooms and a living room/kitchen. The other bedroom isn't mine so I have a fish tank wherever I go. Maybe when I am rich and I have more rooms, I'll have more tanks :)

I have a 60 gallon and a 10 gallon in the living room, a 10 gallon and a 2 gallon on the kitchen counters and a 16 gallon and a 2.5 gallon in my patio garden. I will soon be having 2 - 37 gallon tanks in my bedroom.

I agree that your water source should be a consideration in placing any aquarium. I have a 50 foot python hose to help me with water changes. If your aquarium is planted you might want it near a window.

Both my tanks are in the dining room. It is the only place I could see it from the kitchen, living room and dining room. The wifey won't allow any critters in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom