Which cory should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking at species of corydoras to get for my 65g tank. Currently in the tank I have 14 cardenal tetras, 2otto catfish, a few ender live-bearer, a tone of red cherry shrimp and 1 bronze cory. It is heavily planted and has drift wood. Water is always good. The cory used to have friends but they all got old and passed on, he will probably be following soon too.
I have been looking at multiple common species to get.
-Peperd corydoras
-panda corydoras
-julii corydoras
-more bronze Cory's?
I would like to breed them a bit. And I am thinking of getting about 6 total.
I would love to hear opinions on what kind I may want more. I can't reach a decision they all sound so awesome.

I love Cory Cats! I have had Albinos, Agassizis, and Sterbai. Albinos are the cheapest but were always an annoyance to me. They would swim back and forth against the current in my tank and were simply distracting. My local fish expert mentioned to me that most Albino Cory cats are practically blind, which explains their strange swimming patterns and reluctance to school and line. Sterbai are about $10 a fish and are very good looking. As they get older they turn a reddish color. Very beautiful fish! Right now I have 4 Agassizi in my tanks and they are great. They ran me $6 a fish, well worth it.

I enjoyed my three line cories and they had nice patterns

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find just about all of them a good addition to an aquarium like the one you have. What's most important is that when you chose the corys at the store, they should be showing some movement in the holding tank. I'd be very cautious about buying corys that just sit at the bottom of the tank without moving about looking for food. It could be an acclimation into the fish store's tank shortly after delivery there, but then think about going back a few days later to see if they settled in and show more normal behavior before you buy them.

One consideration might be how many of a species they have. Sometimes you might get a few of one type and then they never get those in again and you are stuck with waiting for more or getting another species and not ending up with all the same.

My favorite cory cats are the duplicareous/adolfoi complex. There are a bunch of species which look almost identical. Another good species is metae which are very easy to breed. This must be why I have about 50 in my 150 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom