Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

White stuff on my BP

I just noticed this white stuff sticking on the side of my BP. I'm not sure what it is. Haven't done anything yet, just did about 60% water change. Parameters are 0 ammo, 0 Nitrites and 30 Nitrates. What do you think it is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2078308540.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	68322

Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like it could be ich, hopefully someone with more experience on here can help you but start looking up on how to treat it. Heat I have found very successful. Good luck

Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestromad
That looks like it could be ich, hopefully someone with more experience on here can help you but start looking up on how to treat it. Heat I have found very successful. Good luck
I know its not ich because I already had an ich outbreak when I was cycling and the white stuff doesn't look like ich (hard to distinguish from the pic though but its bigger than ich spots). Thanks for the response.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok hopefully someone can help you
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich i guess.

Ich is a protozoan disease that is often called 'white spot disease.' The scientific name for the disease is ichthyophthiriasis and the causative agent is Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. It is wide spread in all freshwater fish but appears to be more common in aquarium fish, possibly due to the closer contact and stress involved with aquarium species.

It can happen due: No Appetite, Stress, Water temperature, Water quality.
It can be treated by rising the water temperature, and using salt.

Im not an expert like alot people here are, this is just what i know because i've searched about this today.

Edit: i was writing this while you said its not ich already, sorry ;p
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It's hard to tell from the picture but is it fuzzy or flat? It kind of looks like a scale is missing. (I'm on my phone so pics aren't that great)
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
It's hard to tell from the picture but is it fuzzy or flat? It kind of looks like a scale is missing. (I'm on my phone so pics aren't that great)
It's not flat. It's hard to tell if it is missing a scale or a growth of some type. The other BP has been chasing him lately. I was also thinking of a missing scale which probably he might have hurt himself when scampering. He is also a very shy BP, he swims away really fast when he sees someone approaching the tank, so he might have scratched himself at a decor or DW. I also am thinking maybe it's a parasitic worm (just being paranoid here).
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres
Ich i guess.

Ich is a protozoan disease that is often called 'white spot disease.' The scientific name for the disease is ichthyophthiriasis and the causative agent is Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. It is wide spread in all freshwater fish but appears to be more common in aquarium fish, possibly due to the closer contact and stress involved with aquarium species.

It can happen due: No Appetite, Stress, Water temperature, Water quality.
It can be treated by rising the water temperature, and using salt.

Im not an expert like alot people here are, this is just what i know because i've searched about this today.

Edit: i was writing this while you said its not ich already, sorry ;p
No problem. Thanks for the response though.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
This would be my suspicion as well especially if he is being chased or bullied a bit. I would just watch it closely & let us know if theres any change.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
This would be my suspicion as well especially if he is being chased or bullied a bit. I would just watch it closely & let us know if theres any change.
Will keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

Tags
white stuff

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com