who's your "ninja" fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank_the_Tank

Aquarium Advice Activist
The fish that can vanish from sight at any moment, and remain unseen as long as they want. Mine is definately the rubber pleco, unless he's behind the plants against the back glass I can never see the guy.

I have an ornae bichir that I never saw for the first 6 months i had her.The sole reason I new she was alive the food would be gone the next morning.The tank was heavily planted and she lived in the leaves -Anne

well until she got to big for them to support her lol then half would be on the bottom and half in the leaves hence her name ''lead bottom''

my gudgeon, and my jade goby.

They both live in the same root knot thing, but you cant tell if they are in it or not.

The jade will sit back and wait for food, than dart out , grab the food, and bring it back in for him and the gudgeon to eat (frozen cubes)

my smaller common pleco.. I haven't seen him out in like 3 weeks.. I mean the only time he comes out is when an algae wafer is dropped and thats right before I go to bed (so i barely get to see him)

Here's another Pleco vote. My sailfin is constantly under the wood or hiding within the foliage. I will see him after a few days when he "needs" to do some glass work.

my green panchax killifish - they are jumpers so we are always worried - sometimes he's right there, sometimes it take us forever to find him, lol, we even search the floor sometimes.

I know this doesn't really count, but ghost shrimp. Once you throw a bunch in your tank, I am convinced you will never be able to get an accurate count of how many you have ever again.

khulli loaches, I have two that disappear somewhere. I was sure only one survived, but when I did maintenence on my tank I saw the other one.

My clown loach slides sideways into a nook in my rocks...I keep thinking he's dead, but as soon as the lights go out he shoots out...lights out = feeding time...

My sailfin is constantly under the wood

It must be a baby, I can't get a good hiding spot in my tank for mine.. @ 10" the cave would have to be 12" long, even then I'ld know exactly where he is..

Ghost shrimp, I had 14, I now count 3, but I think they really did disapear (permanently)

well, my spotted and striped raphael are aweful for hiding as is my rubbermouth pleco. I have 6 kuhli loaches and 4 stay out all the time whereas 2 of them hide in the gravel all the time. Then again, my albino kuhli loach dissapears all the time.

My small Synodontis Eupterus in my African Tank, always hidden in the rock caves, rarely see him
My Clown Pleco in my Fry tank. He just blends in with the wood pieces and dissappears.
Otocinclus' in my community tank. I have about a dozen of them, and I can usually visually count 1 or 2 of them (unless i pull everything out of the tank, then I can count them all... I think... )

The ugly Synodontis in the 80 gal. I forget he's there until I move all the rocks and out he comes. He is so ugly--I'm glad he never comes out.

"Pepe" my Black ghost Knifefish is the ninja at my house. Never seen during the day, only found with a flashlight by night.

Another vote for a clown pleco... mine never comes out during the day. He just sits there in his cave most of the time. On the few occasions when he does come out, he darts back in there as soon as he sees me. :lol:

I had 3 common plecos that stayed out all the time, but now I have two bristenose plecos that I only see if I look under/in objects.

The others raphael cat & upsidedown cats (2)

Never see them (even less now that they have something to hide in).

Oh, and an eclipse cat (actually forgot about him I haven't seen him in so long).

Looking back at that list it makes me wonder why I bought an aquarium if I don't have any fish to watch

Guess I understand why I'm trying to plants in the tank - I need something to look at :lol: :lol:

Crap...the clown loach! Sheesh... maybe I need to post pictures on the outside so I know what's in there.

Ooh, good topic! Mine would have to be my glass cats and female gourami(both in 30). the cats i'll occasionaly see if i'm up at night. The gourami however, spends all her time either behind the central driftwood or running to a new hiding spot.

Back
Top Bottom