Why do you prefer freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know that many FW keepers are pretty hardcore about their fish and really have no desire for SW fish. How come? Why do you love your FW fish SO much?

Some of you may also have SW in addition to FW. Which do you prefer and why?

I plan on getting my first SW tank in early 2004 if possible. I still love my FW species and will continue to keep them. I just thought I'd start a little discussion on this since I was thinking about it :]

For myself it comes down to 3 things:

1-SW water chemistry is more complex and less forgiving.

2-My understanding is that most SW fish are wild caught, I prefer personally to stick to captive bred fish. I would never keep a wild creature as a pet. This is my own deal. I am certainly not trying to be accusatory about this, and my info could be wrong.

3-Cichlids are freshwater fish. I have been fascinated by cichlids for a while. I don't know of another family of fish with more personality. All my tanks I hope for in the future are focused on cichlids.

I keep FW right now mainly because it is in general cheaper overall. Also the equipment is usually simpler, though not always. I used to do quite a bit of scuba diving when I lived in S. Florida, and am fascinated by SW fish, but if I can't do it right and get everything I need to satisfy myself, then I don't want to do it at all. Maybe when the kids are grown I will have a little more cash to devote to it, and I will start SW tanks as well. I don't think I will ever give up on FW, though. There are many ways to introduce color and drama into a FW setup, and nothing beats a beautifully planted tank, which just can't be done with SW!

I'm into both now, but have been FW for the last couple decades. It was mainly a knowledge and cost factor back then. If you make a mistake in FW, it'll cost you up to about $20. If you make a mistake in SW, the costs can be major.

Bearfan said:
If you make a mistake in SW, the costs can be major.

That's why I'm going to pick a couple of hardy fish for a fish only tank so that I can begin to learn all about SW. I'm not going for insta-reef tank, heh.

I got into FW fish, because it is more price friendly for poor people like me. :) A single mom with no child support and no college degree does not exactly make for a lot of money to spend. Our fish have become our favorite (and really only) luxury. So we pour a lot of our attention to them.

I have found that I like the overall temperament of most community fish though (we visit stores now like Wal-Mart and PetSmart to just see the fish, not buy heh). Tetras, platties, rainbowfish, and some of the mollies have certainly been fascinating to me.

While I have seen the SW fish (and the prices!), they are indeed more colorful, assorted, and beautiful in some ways than FW fish. But between the lower cost and the ease of care, I'm FW all the way. If I was a millionaire and had someone to keep the salinity of my SW tanks perfect, then I would go that route. Right now...you can just call me the FW gal. :)

Interesting thread Holly. I've kept both and enjoyed both. But you can keep more fish per gallon in a FW set up, and I love the interaction between the fish as much as the planted environment. For me FW rules :D

BrianNY said:
Interesting thread Holly. I've kept both and enjoyed both. But you can keep more fish per gallon in a FW set up, and I love the interaction between the fish as much as the planted environment. For me FW rules :D

My absolute favorite is a planted tank.

Best tank ever
lp1e.jpg

But then just.... LOOK!

01-21-03_maxima_clams_spawning.jpg

04-12-03_spotted_mandarin.jpg

Hawaiian%20Longfin%20Anthias%20-%20Pseudanthias%20hawaiiensis.jpg

Personally, the reasons I went with FW are cost and availability. I don't really have any insight into the costs of running a SW setup but common sense tells me its more expensive than FW. Buying online is not really an option for me right now because of the shipping costs. As for the availability part, the first fish I got were at a PetSmart in a city 20 miles away. They had no saltwater fish. I did discover a the only local pet store shortly after, which is within walking distance, but they only have one SW tank and usually it only has one or two species of fish in it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love even the smallest SW tank. Just can't afford it right now. Hopefully one day I'll be able to, but for now its FW all the way.

I guess I was intimidated by SW chemistry. FW doesn't feel like as much work. Plus, when I heard about livebearers, I thought that was just the coolest thing!

I don't have an itch to start a SW tank anytime soon, but maybe someday...

I don't think SW chemistry is any less tricky. At least the way I do FW, I test for every little thing already!

I find that my scuba diving is all I need for my saltwater fix. I can spend a couple of hours a day playing with fish and crabs and lobsters and anemones etc.... Plus availablility.

I wouldn't give up my white clouds for anything and I love doing under water gardening in my FW tanks.

A day? ... in Canada? You mean cold water scuba? Ack... That isn't the same as tropical SW.

White cloud minnows were the first fish I got when I got back into keeping aquariums. Great, hardy little fish, but I find them awfully dull looking.

Are those your tanks Holly? They're incredible! We're very new at keeping fish and figured FW was the best way to learn. We have 2 tanks now and are already planing a third. Both my wife and I are enjoying our new hobby and realize the cost and addiction of MTS. I guess we're just willing to live with it. It starts with 1 then you read about building your own system with a sump, then planted, then SW, then reef, then ...

I love my A. Cichlids. Because of them I developed MTS in a matter of monthes. My friend bought me one bc she thought it was pretty and within 3 monthes I had a tank full. They have so much personality and they are very tough. SW chemistry scares me (and I am a chem major) and the fish are so expensive. I love pericula clown fish (tank bred), sea horses, snowflake eels, blue damsels, and anemonies but they are all so expensive. At my lfs one clown fish is 17$ so stocking a tank could cost over 200$. I can stock a cichlid tank for 40$. I just don't have the time for the tank either with my studies. I'm supposed to be in college for the academics not for the out of control hobbies :)

A couple of years ago I got Takashi Amono's "Nature Aquarium World" book, and was utterly fascinated with his planted tanks. As I've had mucho experience with fish over the last 20 years or so, I decided to finally go all-out and do a planted tank.

Turns out I can grow plants quite well, but cannot aquascape to save my life! Oh well, I still enjoy my tanks very much.

I dabbled in SW a while ago, and was not all that successful, and decided to stick with fw.

To each his/her own!

thatlouguy said:
Are those your tanks Holly? They're incredible!

I wish!! They're just photos I've saved for inspiration... and lust :p

corvuscorax said:
A couple of years ago I got Takashi Amono's "Nature Aquarium World" book, and was utterly fascinated with his planted tanks.

That is a great looking book. I'm adding that to my *want* list. Man that list is getting long... I do want to start SW, but I have 7 other FW tanks I want too, lol.

Back
Top Bottom