Why do you prefer freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always had just FW, because frankly, SW tanks intimidate me. The water, substrate, plants, and fish all seem more complicated to acquire and to maintain. The cost is also prohibitive, because I don't want to sink a ton of money into my hobby, especially if I wasn't so good at it yet. Space is yet another issue, because if I ever did a SW tank, I'd want a huge one, and right now I have nowhere I could put it.

Similar to tkos, I will just get my SW fix when I snorkel in Kaua'i (which I will be in February)!

I like the ability to occasionally move fish - as when I planted an existing tank. Besides that, I have simply fallen in love with my fancy goldfish (and cold water aquaria can be quite challenging). And it's so cool to be able to try and replicate a little piece of nature I would otherwise not ever see - anyone been to SA lately to see some tetras?

I've had a SW FOWLR (it departed recently with the husband, but that's another thread in another forum). Anyway, we had what IMO is a "starter" SW tank - a 55 gallon, and in addition to more restrictive stocking requirements, we had to be very careful about what species of fish was added. Some of the coolest SW fish get pretty large (tangs and fox faces, to name a couple) and in a 55, you're pretty much limited to maybe one of those, if your aquascape is sufficient to provide separate territories, hiding and burrowing places.

I'd do SW again - differently this time though. It would have to be about a 150, and that barbaric practice of cycling a tank with damsels would not be part of the picture. (Sorry to affend any who cycle tanks with fish - with no water changes - but I think it is harmful to the fish.)

After all, we have to remember that FW or SW, we don't need to pat ourselves on the back that the fish, plants and invertebrates survive - we need to applaud them for surviving despite the fishkeepers. . .

Back
Top Bottom