Why Does My Catfish Swim Around Crazily?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMaddog

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a Juli Cory Catfish that won't stay at the bottom of the tank. All it does is swim against the glass frantically. It goes up and down and side to side very quickly and won't graze at the bottom of the tank. I thought Corys were supposed to be bottom feeders and stay at the bottom of the tank. When I bought it, it was just grazing on the gravel at the pet store. Is this caused by stress?

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have you had them ? Mine did this for the first 5 days or so.

Yes they prefer to be in groups(I think @ 5 is recommended) but more can't hurt but they also like to play in the current from filters or bubble bars

I have a shoal of 8 and they still did this for the first few days of having them. I think this is because he is just getting used to his new home. They also didn't eat for a few days. Don't panic, he should calm down eventually :) but he would definitely like some friends.

Sometimes crazy swimming can be a cause for concern , maybe before buying more test your water just to be sure .

I agree test your water. Than get some buddies!!? he/she will love you for it!!!

Probably lonely. However, I have to say that I have two albinos in a shoal of bronzes and the albinos glass surf a lot. I think they're exercising because they seem to be playful and social while they surf together. Occasionally one or two of the bronzes join in but mostly it's the two of them back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. They also participate in normal cory activities with the rest. Might be a bit touched in the head from excessive inbreeding...

I think my Cory is a female since it is rounded and not flat. She is the only fish swimming like this. She is in with my guppies along with an Otocinclus for an algae eater. Do you think if I get a couple of albinos that it would be fine? The albinos are on sale for $1 at petsmart and the Juli ones are $8.

You might just be better off taking her back and just getting all albino. I have one emerald cory and a bunch of albinos and they ignore eachother.

You might just be better off taking her back and just getting all albino. I have one emerald cory and a bunch of albinos and they ignore eachother.

I would not want to take her back, she's too pretty, and plus I read that these type of Corys are rare commercially. I have access to real Juli Corys and not the false ones. Would 2 more Juli Corys work out okay?

That is a great start, 2 more now and then maybe 1 or 2 more later. They do prefer their own kind... I understand it's expensive..... But well worth itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393868857.134163.jpg

I would not want to take her back, she's too pretty, and plus I read that these type of Corys are rare commercially. I have access to real Juli Corys and not the false ones. Would 2 more Juli Corys work out okay?

Yes. The more the merrier but three will be a good start and always better than a single.

I have a couple bronze and two albinos and they shoal together as well as a couple peppered and a quad of Schwartz's that shoal together. The two groups mix but I see definite preferences.

I had one (it was supposed to be Julii, but not sure how to tell if it really is) and he/she did this for a month. I added another and they are inseperable, but they both do this for half of the day. Pretty much any time they are not feeding on the bottom, but it seems playful so I wouldn't worry too much as long as your water is good.

I have an albino and it seems to go back and forth between my two other Cory's. I dot know the types but all three of them rarely will be together. It's usually two. Either the albino Cory will be with one of them or will be hiding in a cave and the other two will be together.

Back
Top Bottom