Worried - 4 plecos in one tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after reading this thread I'm a little worried. I have a 55 gallon "corner tank", and it contains 4 common plecos. I have had them for over a year and have never had problems, or have fought at all. Each of them is about 5 inches long. I'm assuming I should remove three of them. Any advice?

Well, after reading this thread I'm a little worried. I have a 55 gallon "corner tank", and it contains 4 common plecos. I have had them for over a year and have never had problems, or have fought at all. Each of them is about 5 inches long. I'm assuming I should remove three of them. Any advice?

I'd remove all of them. Way to small

Nitrate

I bet this is why my Nitrate level is so high? All the waste in there... Can I get smaller species of plecos? I shouldn't even have one in there?

I have moved your posts to their own thread.

They could be the reason. I would up the water change schedule while they are there. A smaller species is the bristlenose. There are others but the bristlenose is the most common. They max out at 4-6 inches.

Thanks!

I'll be moving these guys in the future, but will increase the water changes in the meantime to keep the tank at safe levels.

Plecos aren't a necessity in a tank but if you wanted bristlenoses you could have multiple or none. It depends on what your other stock is. Multiple male BNP in a tank is fine IME. I currently have two in a 70g and two in a 26g with a female and fry. If you have a male and female they will most likely produce offspring and once they start they won't stop.

Back
Top Bottom