Worried about my Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering about how bad frequent flairing is for Bettas. I have a 20H that I divided down the middle to accommodate my Veiltail and Crowntail male Bettas. The divider is made of acrylic, which I sanded in order to give it a frosty look and keep the Bettas from seeing each other. Unfortunately, my brawling Bettas can see each other and they spend all of their time flaring and going bonkers since they can see a blurry image of each other. Will they eventually tire of this and start acting normal, or will they just keep going nuts until I make the barrier completely opaque? I'm just worried that they may end up hurting their fins, gills, etc. from excessive flairing.

The Bettas will not get tired of attacking the blurry image. They are very territorial as you know and won't stop until they have their own space. I would suggest, if possible, to frost the glass a little more. Hope this helps!

I had two bettas in a tank with a divider too,for the first few days they flared, but then after that they got used to eachother. They stopped flaring and acted like the other wasn't even there. Just watch them for a few days, if they calm down, then there you go! If they don't then frost the glass or keep them in seperate tanks where they cannot see eachother. Hope this helps! :)

I had two bettas in a tank with a divider too,for the first few days they flared, but then after that they got used to eachother. They stopped flaring and acted like the other wasn't even there. Just watch them for a few days, if they calm down, then there you go! If they don't then frost the glass or keep them in seperate tanks where they cannot see eachother. Hope this helps! :)

I suppose all fish are different so I would agree with watching your fish :) My fish never calmed down and would always attack their own reflection. Hope this helps!

Well, putting them in separate tanks defeats the purpose of putting them in the divided 20g. I did this so I could consolidate my tanks for when I go to college and my parents have to take care of all my fish during the week. If they don't chill out by this evening, I think I may use some black plastic to temporarily fix the issue. Then I can try making another divider and just spray paint it with Krylon Fusion to make sure there is not problem at all.

I've just heard and seen breeders keep breeding Bettas in divided tanks or in tanks right next to each other. I'll just keep an eye on them for now and see how it goes.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Back
Top Bottom