Yet another Stocking question, 50Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, my goldfish recently passed and I am looking at adding more fish to my planted 50gal. Mainly want to have a few center piece fish. I believe I am getting close to my stocking limit.

Currently I have-
1 male Bose Rainbow
1 female Bose Rainbow
1 male 3 Spot Gourami (want to rehome him and replace with pearls)
3 Julii Corys
1 Mystery snail

Fish ideas to add-
3 more Julii Corys (so i can have a proper school)-these will be added this weekend
2 koi angels?
More rainbow Boses (1 male 2 more females?)
Blue rainbows (2 females 1 male?)
furcata rainbow fish (2 males and 4 females?)
Pearl Gourami (2?)

Any other suggestions are welcomed. I want to make sure I dont over stock my tank and thats why im asking for feedback. I know I am getting close to my stocking limit.

Recent but not current picture of tank (have more spider wood now)
lvgagvA.jpg

Can't speak to Rainbows but I've read multiple times that a single Angel is better than 2 since 2 males will fight and a pair will get super protective if they bond & spawn. I'd forget the Angels unless you have somewhere to rehome them if trouble starts

Ive heard that, ive also read more often that they want to be paired up (if you can make sure you get a male and female that paired). One would be great but I dont want to force a fish that likes to be paired being alone. I heard it is a good idea to get a pair that you already see have hooked up in a fish store, how easy that could be is unknown lol.

However I am not opposed to having a different fish or a single koi angel if I can keep it happy.

I'd add 4-6 more Bosemani rainbows. They like to be in schools. Whatever you choose, I dislike the concept of a single "centerpiece" fish. Almost all fish are happier and healthier in schools. I'm on my 6th or 7th generation of Koi angels and find them to do fine as a pair in a community tank. Yes they get a bit aggressive when laying eggs, but they won't hurt any but the smallest fish.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to add just one fish (that's why i suggested more than one on each family) cause i agree, most fish don't like to be solo.

Can never go wrong with angels!! Beautiful fish with tons of personality! Even some gouramis would be nice. I’ve got a school of 8 cories in my 55 that are absolutely FASCINATING to watch. However if you’re looking for a splash of color, cherry barbs are cheap and absolutely stunning in large tanks because of how vibrant they become, especially in small schools!

You add a partner and see if they perk up! Thats the only real way I can tell.

I went ahead and added the 3 extra corys (6 total)
4f 2m Furcata Rainbows (6 total)
1 female Bose Rainbow (2f 1m total)
(1m 3 spot gourami, still going to rehome him and get maybe 2 pearls)

Ill get some pictures when I get a chance. Hopefully the Furcata's mate but I need to add some more larger plants.

An interesting note, my local shop which typically is pretty knowledgeable wanted to do the outdated inches per gallon so the amount of fish I could "put" in my tank was insane.

Back
Top Bottom