Young Discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've wanted to get discus for awhile now, and I found a breeder within 5min of my home. He has young discus about the size of a quarter and I was wondering what a good size tank would be for a school of 12 when they're this size. I've got an empty 150 on standby for their adult tank. Right now I've got a 55 and a 30 I could place them in. Any suggestions?

the 150 would be best. set it up once and go from there, it doesnt take long for them to grow. If you cant get that 150 set up the 55 would do for a month or two max.
I had 6 about that size in a 45 and within a month they were grown enough for the 210. Id suggest the bigger tank NOW rather then later, crowding while growing does effect some of the discus. I have one that hasnt grow a centimeter in 4 months, he is about 2" and wont grow any bigger unless I power feed him.
Ive got over a dozen and a half discus at the moment.

Ah ok, thanks. I had heard somewhere that they get freaked out if they're put into a large tank when they're little. But that's why I asked! :)

you could always section off the tank until the get bigger though. food plus clean water really help them grow so if they are in a bigger tank the better. discus that small should also be feed 4-5 times a day. the more water changes the better.

Back
Top Bottom