2 nerite snail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have olive nerites in two different tanks and they've laid eggs. I know they can't breed in freshwater...do I need to remove the eggs them from the tank?

Then I have a fancier nerite in yet a third tank. This is not its first home because twice I found it on the kitchen counter. This snail will not stay in the water. At this point it's in my 10g, lots of plants & algae, yet it anchors itself in the small space between the waterline and the top of the tank, or upside down on the glass top. Is this normal?

Try smearing some 100% petroleum jelly around the rim of the tank (assuming you have the kind with the black plastic rim that will hide it.) The snails won't cross it. Mine like to get up on top of the water line a lot too. I think the just like some air sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And you can try to remove the eggs but it's a pain. They will eventually decompose over time. But of course, they will continue to lay more in that time. The escape attempts and the eggs are the trade offs for having such good cleaners in the tank. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try smearing some 100% petroleum jelly around the rim of the tank (assuming you have the kind with the black plastic rim that will hide it.) The snails won't cross it. Mine like to get up on top of the water line a lot too. I think the just like some air sometimes.

Never heard of doing that, thank you so much (y)

Back
Top Bottom