5.5g betta tank which snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
my betta is a messy eater and i only feed him 1-3 pellets/flakes a day, but the problem is he doesnt eat it all and once the food falls to the floor, he completely ignores it. i end up having to clean up or siphon up the left overs and its becoming a problem as that keeps unrooting my plants. i need a good snail for the left over food and possibly for algae. but i cant figure out which snail i should get.
-shouldnt multiply like crazy, and if possible just have one.
-eats fishfood and algae
-can be housed in a 5.5 gallon tank with rcs.

ive been looking into nerite and mystery snails. mystery snail seems like a good choice, but i read that they get big... and that worries me because of the nano style tank and the rcs. unless someone knows of a species of apple/mystery snail that does not grow too big?
nerite also almost sounded like a good idea, sizewise. however, i read that they lay white eggs everywhere... if i just have one nerite, will it still lay eggs? (are they hemaphrodites or is there distinct male and female? so maybe just get the male so no eggs?)

You're Betta is probably eating your RCS. There is no other reason he should be ignoring that amount of food... Unless he's on his death bed which is highly unlikely. I would investigate this further before you just go ahead and buy a snail. (My Bettas LOVE to eat snails and shrimp, btw...)

my betta is a messy eater and i only feed him 1-3 pellets/flakes a day, but the problem is he doesnt eat it all and once the food falls to the floor, he completely ignores it. i end up having to clean up or siphon up the left overs and its becoming a problem as that keeps unrooting my plants. i need a good snail for the left over food and possibly for algae. but i cant figure out which snail i should get. -shouldnt multiply like crazy, and if possible just have one. -eats fishfood and algae -can be housed in a 5.5 gallon tank with rcs. ive been looking into nerite and mystery snails. mystery snail seems like a good choice, but i read that they get big... and that worries me because of the nano style tank and the rcs. unless someone knows of a species of apple/mystery snail that does not grow too big? nerite also almost sounded like a good idea, sizewise. however, i read that they lay white eggs everywhere... if i just have one nerite, will it still lay eggs? (are they hemaphrodites or is there distinct male and female? so maybe just get the male so no eggs?)

The beta might eat the snails. But will definitely eat the rcs ( I know from painful experience). Nerites are great. I have two and not many eggs. They really clean well too!

The beta might eat the snails. But will definitely eat the rcs ( I know from painful experience). Nerites are great. I have two and not many eggs. They really clean well too!

+1 on the nerites. I had 2 with my betta and never noticed any eggs.

My betta was great with nerites. Man you guys are lucky... I had two and they laid hundreds of eggs.

got a single nerite snail :) found a nice looking one at my lfs. and it was the only nerite they had, so i couldnt pass it up!

Back
Top Bottom