Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How many fiddlers can I keep in a 30 gallon?

Ok so my tank is a 30 gal and I have 1 male 2 female, and normally you can keep 1 male and 3 female in a 10 gal. Since my land and water areas effectively take up 15 gal each, or 3x the size of the land and water in a 10 gal, could I honestly get like another male? Assuming I added 2 or 3 females, for 5 female and 2 male in a 30 gal. Tank attached to show its setup for clarity, you can see the male on top of the rock for scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_184045.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	316640  

Old 05-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So having up to 8 should be fine maybe 2 males at most and keeping mind that you may lose one occasionally due to fighting but it just comes with the territory of crab keeping.

The only thing I would say is that you tank seems a bit sparce in terms of hiding places, rocks, caves and crevasses. Crabs love those and it will keep in-fighting minimized as when they start fighting one will run and hide, also when they Molt they become easy targets and will be attacked. What I would do to give males there own space is make two shores on either side and have your water in the middle, or maybe put an ornament or rock sticking out of the water so that each male can get out of the water and have their own land piece without worry.

Good luck with the fiddler's they are incredibly fun to keep.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The split shore idea is really good actually, I like that
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would definitely add more females if you add a Male but try to get some plants in there and a couple more hides for them
Old 05-29-2020, 04:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasementNerd View Post
The split shore idea is really good actually, I like that
Glad you like it, would love to see some new photos when the remodel and new inhabitants are added.

Tags
30 gallon, fiddler, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com