Is my snail doing okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my snail over a month it's a mystery snail. How big will it get is it healthy looking ? I think its shell is a it thin but i don't think it's getting worse. My ph is about 7.4

image-3764368166.jpg

The first photo is of when I first got it

Attachments

• image-2279689962.jpg
    image-2279689962.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-699949167.jpg
    image-699949167.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 66
Well, the pH is good. Make sure the water is hard, and give it a calcium supplement. It can get to be a big larger than a golf ball if it is a mystery snail.

If it is the giant apple snail, it can get to baseball size with some time. But that one looks like a pretty well grown mystery snail.

Thanks i just added slate to my tanks is that good for them .. Not sure if it will affect ph

Slate won't bother pH. Limestones, such as marble, and coral, will. You can test rocks for calcium content, soak in vinegar or dribble some CLR on them. Any bubbling indicates some calcium though it may only be a vein or two of it in otherwise inert rock.
For a snail tank, calcium bearing rocks are not a bad thing, provided there aren't so many it makes the water like liquid rock :).

Get a chunk of cuttlebone, a whole piece and after it floats for some time it will sink. just stick it in the back of the tank and it will be there if the snail wants it and also help mitigate any acidic water.

The pH in my tank is 6.4 and the water eats away the cuttlebone, and because it is in there it helps the snails. Your pH isn't very bad for snails. I would still put the cuttlebone in.

My water from faucet before conditioner is added is 8.8 after it is 8 my tank water is like between 7.4 and 8 but closer to 7.4 is that normal?

My water from faucet before conditioner is added is 8.8 after it is 8 my tank water is like between 7.4 and 8 but closer to 7.4 is that normal?

Try taking your tap water and leave for about 24 hours and then test it, no additives just a cup of water left out for a day and see what it is. Then add the prime and see what it says/how different?!

When you have plants and Driftwood it will mellow the pH.

Sometimes the water your city gets comes from a different source, when there is a drought or too much water. Like a lake or a reservoir. Which can have a different pH, GH/KH and TDS/total dissolved solids.

My fish do well and they are guppies , cory cats and a dwarf gourami they all do well

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom