ivory snail and black mystery snail help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malawicichlidlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two snails. One is a big ivory snail (jr) I bought from my local fish store a year ago now. My girlfriend just bought a black mystery snail the other day and put it in there. I just looked a minute ago and seen that Jr was weirdly covering the other snail. I have a few photos but can anyone please help me. I'm curious what's hapaning. Is he eating the other one should I split them up?

ForumRunner_20121107_043139.jpg

ForumRunner_20121107_043101.jpg

ForumRunner_20121107_043110.jpg

ForumRunner_20121107_043124.jpg

cichlidsforlife94 said:
I have two snails. One is a big ivory snail (jr) I bought from my local fish store a year ago now. My girlfriend just bought a black mystery snail the other day and put it in there. I just looked a minute ago and seen that Jr was weirdly covering the other snail. I have a few photos but can anyone please help me. I'm curious what's hapaning. Is he eating the other one should I split them up?

Looks like mating behavior! My male does the same even with the other boys!

K thank you the black mystery is kinda bent in half weird like. I would be so ecsited to have babie snails. Do you happen to know how many eggs they lay at a time. Thank you for all your help.

cichlidsforlife94 said:
K thank you the black mystery is kinda bent in half weird like. I would be so ecsited to have babie snails. Do you happen to know how many eggs they lay at a time. Thank you for all your help.

The egg sac is pink & placed above the water, lots of babies!

How long will it take them to place it and how many babies. How high do they place it. I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and ecsited.

cichlidsforlife94 said:
How long will it take them to place it and how many babies. How high do they place it. I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and ecsited.

It depends, the female will have too participate lol with the male. The amount I'm not sure some can have loads about 80 others less. The eggs can be hidden out of the water, some on filter units even tank lids!

How long will it take them to place it and how many babies. How high do they place it. I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and excited.

Just went to clean the glass on my wife's 25 gallon tank, and on the inside of the lid, (not in the water) is a large clutch of eggs. Here is a picture and some info for you, this is a black mystery snail egg clutch

Mystery Snails are most likely a species called Pomacea Bridgesii. These are freshwater aquatic snails which lay eggs ABOVE the water.
Pomacea snails are MALE and FEMALE. They are NOT asexual. So you will have to have 1 male and 1 female, at least, before you see breeding and egg laying.
The male will climb onto the females shell, slightly over to one side, his penis looks like a flat white tube (similar to his breathing siphon, but shorter and fatter) and he will insert it into the female's shell and up into her body.
She will usually continue about her life, walking around the tank while the male continues his deed riding on her shell.
Females may or may not lay eggs after the male breeds her. Pomacea species snails can carry sperm in their bodies for many weeks.
When ready to lay eggs, the female will climb up the side of the aquarium wall and leave the water. She will continue up as far as she can go, or about 3-4 inches.. depending on how much room she has. If you do not have a lid on your aquarium, she can and most likely will, fall out of the tank.
My snails enjoy laying their eggs near the light bulbs in the light canopy. The eggs are a small hard mass, usually pale creme in color. Though some other Pomacea species lay bright red, dark pink, lime green, and solid white eggs.
If eggs are kept warm and moist, baby snails will hatch on their own in about 2-3 weeks. Sooner if they are kept warmer. Baby snails will eat their way out of their egg cluster and drop down into the water. They look just like their parents, only tiny. It takes some color-varieties a few weeks before they show their adult coloring, but wild- and golden-colored babies look pretty much like their parents from day 1.
Sometimes the eggs won't hatch. This is usually due to lack of humidity, though sometimes a virgin snail can lay eggs which are infertile. Usually if you leave the eggs alone, and let nature take it's course, you will soon have a lot of babies in your tank.
One single egg clutch can hold anywhere from 20 to 2,000 eggs depending on the species. Asolene Spixi, which is a rare forum of apple snail, usually lay egg clusters that only have 15-20 eggs. Pomacea Canaliculata can lay clusters with up to 2,000 eggs.
Pomacea Bridgesii, which is what you most likely have, usually have around 100-200 eggs in a cluster... and on average, about 50-75 babies will hatch and start their lives in your tank.

In two tanks: 3 Balantiocheilos melanopterus,2 Schreitmuller's Metynnis ,1 Metynnis maculatus 2 Platydoras costatus & 4 Trichopodus trichopterus 6 Devario aequipinnatus 1 glowfish,2 Kryptopterus bicirrusand 2 Pterophyllum scalare 6 Paracheirodon innesi

Attachments

• DSC_1052.jpg
    DSC_1052.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 120
K thank you that's a lot a help. I appreciate it all I'm ecsited about it im gonna go investigate some more now lol

Back
Top Bottom