My Son's RCS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My son Jordan is doing well in school and has finally earned his tank. We were going to go with a few platies born in one of my tanks, but then he saw my Ghost Shrimp and exclaimed, "Mom!!!! When I get my tank I WANT KRILLLLLLLL!!!!!"

(Thank you Happy Feet 2!)

So I had a brilliant idea to surprise him with RCS! He would be able to see the Red Cherry Shrimp much better and have fun with them.

This will be a 10g tank and I plan on using seeded filter material from one of my cycled tanks.
I'm going to use a filter sponge over the intake to prevent babies being sucked up...

I will be getting them from:

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/

Highly recommended from JetaJockey--- thank you!

Questions:

-- Can I do gravel easily? I have experience with gravel and would rather have that than sand...

-- Would I still be able to have 2 platies in the tank with approx 10 RCS?

-- Anything specific I should know about RCS besides covering the filter with sponge?

My lil man will be 7 yrs old next week, April 27th :)

Congrats on the birthday! :)
I'm not the shrimp expert on here but I know that with any other fish in the tank you a not likely going to see any baby shrimp. Also the adults will hide more with fish in the tank.
You could probably do gravel but the shrimp are going to want somewhere to hide and love live plants. Java moss and java fern are easy low light plants that would work well. you could attach them to rocks or a piece of driftwood if you want gravel.
Hope this helped a little and I'm sure you will get more advice soon:)

JryanM said:
Congrats on the birthday! :)
I'm not the shrimp expert on here but I know that with any other fish in the tank you a not likely going to see any baby shrimp. Also the adults will hide more with fish in the tank.
You could probably do gravel but the shrimp are going to want somewhere to hide and love live plants. Java moss and java fern are easy low light plants that would work well. you could attach them to rocks or a piece of driftwood if you want gravel.
Hope this helped a little and I'm sure you will get more advice soon:)

Thank you! :) hmmm... I haven't thought about driftwood...
Would look nice! I know he wants the "no fishing" shark sign...
Java moss and java fern sound good...
He would definitely start out with RCS only...

Avoid Platies. You'll see and enjoy your Shrimp a lot more without predators. You can add Otos later or dwarf Cories. Chili Rasboras would be ok as well.

The issue with gravel is the RCS food falls down between it. Feed them on a plate or in a dish of some sort.

Since I added predator fish, I don't get to see my baby Shrimp. I only see 1/2 grown juvies that have survived. I miss seeing my shrimp out and about and relaxed.

I have RCS in my Mollie tank and they're not afraid at all. It's heavily overstocked with fish at the moment as I've had to combine tanks in temporary accommodation but my shrimp are all out and about all over the place not bothered by the fish whatsoever.

cheeky_monkey said:
I have RCS in my Mollie tank and they're not afraid at all. It's heavily overstocked with fish at the moment as I've had to combine tanks in temporary accommodation but my shrimp are all out and about all over the place not bothered by the fish whatsoever.

But are the newborn Shrimplets out and about ??
Once fish realize they are food it can change fast.
Adult RCS are safer.

Here comes the nano police. Maybe you could start with a smaller tank for a just RCS tank. Or a very long 10g long lol.

I know in my 5g with a few RCS it seems a little lonely to others, as they expect 10 goldfish.

But we know better.

I'm plotting out a heavily planted 2g Fluval spec and I think it's fun :). I'm figuring out how big of driftwood I should get, what plants to transfer/sell.

Coursair said:
Avoid Platies. You'll see and enjoy your Shrimp a lot more without predators. You can add Otos later or dwarf Cories. Chili Rasboras would be ok as well.

The issue with gravel is the RCS food falls down between it. Feed them on a plate or in a dish of some sort.

Since I added predator fish, I don't get to see my baby Shrimp. I only see 1/2 grown juvies that have survived. I miss seeing my shrimp out and about and relaxed.

The tank will be a regular 10g... And I'll start him with 10 RCS...
A little plate or dish sounds fine to me... He will have fun picking it out.
When I explain to him that the Platies will eat his baby shrimp I imagine he will quickly change his mind.

Coursair said:
But are the newborn Shrimplets out and about ??
Once fish realize they are food it can change fast.
Adult RCS are safer.

The shrimplets are not as free swimming as the juvies and adults however I have a very steady growing colony which tells me the shrimplets are definitely surviving.

Back
Top Bottom